eyes stuck shut and bloody comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmcm, Aug 1, 2008.

1. cmcm

cmcm Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    i just found one of my bantam brahma hens (2 years old) with her head drooped down and i noticed that both her eyes were almost completely stuck shut. also her comb was bloody and a lot of feathers have been pulled from her head - resulting in more areas of blood.

we had one hen - same type and age - about a month ago - who is broody and sitting on the nest favored by most of the chickens - and she had one eye stuck shut but there was no swelling or blood. we put bag balm on her eye and immediately it popped open and looked fine - with no reoccurance. so with this hen we have applied bag balm and one eye popped open - but we are really worried about the possibility of disease. I can't tell if maybe she has just been pecked a lot or was injured during mating. i thought with the first hen that maybe the other hens pecked her eye while trying to lay in that box, esp since it never happened to her again.

i looked some things up on the disease links and she, nor any other chicken seem to have any respiratory problem - no mucus or runny nose.

she was very very thirsty after we fixed her up but i dont know if she has been eating. we just isolated her in a dog cage with food and water.

also, we have 5 new hens who were all raised from chicks (one amaraucana mix, 2 dominiques and 2 barred rocks) who are all 3 months old now and it seems like there is some vying for places in the pecking order. so maybe she could have been beat up by a younger hen? she does seem to be one of the lower ranked hens from our original flock.

Thanks for your help!

Carol

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sure sounds like she was beat up to me. I had a broody hen who got beat up like that once and the others were brutile. I think it's good you have her isolated to give her time to heal.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by