Eyes won't open

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by glennallen, May 5, 2009.

1. glennallen

glennallen New Egg

May 4, 2009
    I have just hatched out my first chicks. All is well except a few of them have one or both eyes unopened. They are of uncertain breeds and 2 to 3 days old. Wiping the eyes with water seems to help. I am wondering if this is common and the eyes will open on their own or should I be concerned. Thanks.

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    It can be a sign of dehydration and shock. Drops of light karo syrup, followed by a few drops of water or better - electrolytes, should help them pick up and go, follow it up with poly-vi-sol without Iron, and if they're meant to survive that generally works.

Instead of Karo you can use sugar water but in some chicks that will cause pasting (poop stuck to butt and feathers). Light Karo is better than Dark Karo, dark Karo contains more molasses which is more like sugar and can cause pasting or diarrhea.

Karo is better digested it requires less work of the digestive system, conserving energy and calories. Electrolytes either unflavored pedialyte or the powdered mix available in feed stores, help more than plain water.

Don't use raw honey - it contains bacteria that can be deadly to infant animals and infant/toddler humans.

3. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] I didnt know that!

4. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Raw honey is not always fatal, but it can contribute to the demise of immune weakened animals, and even infants and toddlers. While the bacteria in raw honey is even good for adults and people with
    normal immune systems it can be too heavy a load for young or poorly developed systems.

5. glennallen

glennallen New Egg

May 4, 2009
    Thanks for the information. Should I use the Karo and water as a mix? All the peeps seem to be drinking and eating as expected. Are there any other signs of dehydration I can watch for. Again thanks! Cluck cluck!

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Usually I just give a couple of drops of straight karo.

Chicks that are falling behind, may be less active or not active, they may be peeping constantly. As you've noticed some will not have even the energy to open their eyes.

A chick that stands and peeps constantly is not behaving normally. Usually I give them polyvisol a couple times a day, and some electrolytes.

Another sign of weakness or dehydration is going turtle - feet up and being unable to right themselves. Late hatchers often have turtle issues.

Trapped, injured or cold chicks may also peep, or go turtle afterward.

Content healthy chicks are for the most part not constantly noisy barring the few that just will not shut up for the duration of their lives - sigh...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by