Eyeworm

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Volchitsa, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Volchitsa

Volchitsa New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I've noticed eyeworm in my free range flock, and never really did much about it because it has never been a problem (yeah, I know... Real great chicken farmer skills). I read some articles today about how it can cause some severe problems, like blindness and infection of the eye. I'm in Hawaii, so controlling cockroaches in a free range flock is impossible, but I was wondering, if eyeworm has never been a problem in my flock, should I deworm my chickens for it? I've only seen worms in the younger chicken's eyes, and then it pretty much goes away and once the chicken becomes an adult I barely ever see it. I've never seen infection caused by it, and the chicks who got it didn't seem bothered by it much.
    I haven't had a clutch in quite awhile, but I thought to brush up on research in case I decide to have some in the near future. So.. If a parasite doesn't get out of control, should I deworm? I hate using chemicals on my babies unless absolutely necessary.
    Thanks

2. weloveourgirls

weloveourgirls New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Im new to chickens but read once of a lady who gave her chickens a mash that she makes. It is all natural and keeps the birds free of this type of thing. I think garlic was the ingredient that did that. I asked if it was strong enough to change the flavor of the eggs and she said no. She has very healthy chickens. If interested Ill track it down. Also Im sure you have pleanty of dirt in Hawaii but do your birds have access to a pile of dirt? It helps them stay pest free to do a dirt bath. So Im told anyway. Im no expert Im new to chickens and reading everything I can.[​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Mix equal parts of valbazen and water, then flush the eyes with it. Then dose the chicken 1/2cc orally with undiluted valbazen. Repeat again in 7-10 days.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    is that the same as safeguard? i use a paste form of it....

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can see eyeworm in the eye, very thin and whittish in color about 1/4" long, swimming around in the eye as reported by other members. The chicken scratches the eye alot and that is what can cause blindness. The pic you posted could be from being pecked or scratched, possibly the onset of a respiratory disease. Look in her eye and see if you see eyeworm. If not, try putting terramycin eye ointment in her eye or neosporin. Give it time to heal over several days if it's an injury of some sort. Check for other respiratory symtoms if it's a respiratory problem, such as wheezing, gurgling, rattling, runny nostrils, bubbly eyes etc...

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thanks! no she isn't scratching at it or anything- so will treat as if it s an injury for now, no wheezing or other symptoms...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by