Eyeworms? In coturnix quail?

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Most of my coturnix quail have an outdoor run on the ground. They love it there. So do Surinam roaches, which the quail gobble up when they show themselves. Now, I've learned that Surinam roaches carry poultry eyeworm, which sees much of its lifecycle living in chickens and other birds. These critters can cause eye irritation and even blindness in birds.

Personally, I haven't seen any eyeworms, or any signs of it. Do quail get them? If so, how could you even tell unless they're scratching their eyes?

I'm asking because I hate to take measures to limit the number of bugs (aka: free food) in the cages if I don't need to. I've read that we do have eyeworm in chicken here in Hawaii. Anyone have experience with eyeworm in quail?

You can see the worms "swimming" in the eyes, but it might be tough to see them clearly in a quail's eye. Anyway, IF your quail get eyeworms, treatment is a 50/50 solution of Valbazen and water. Flush the eyes with the solution. Then dose your quail orally with non-diluted Valbazen 1/4ml. Repeat dosing in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom