Eyeworms, Scale, and Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shotfam, Aug 11, 2014.

1. shotfam

shotfam New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Hello! I am new to this forum and new to raising chickens. We have a pullet that's recovering from eyeworm. We treated it with Vet Rx and antibiotics but could never find a worm. Sadly, her eye has been destroyed in the process; it is gone. She isn't secreting any pus from the eye, but she now has yellow scale on the skin around the eye. It looks like dried pus or skin that is sloughing off. Her feathers around the eye are gone. There is a yellow spot in the eye socket. I thought it was pus and tried to remove it, but she would have none of that. I didn't want to try too hard for fear of hurting her and doing further injury. Does anyone know what's going on with the eye area? Since contracting eyeworm, she has been isolated. When can I re-introduce her to the flock? I feel so bad; this eye just looks awful!

Other than this, she's eating and drinking and asserting her personality. Thank you in advance for your help!

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you didnt see eyeworms in her eye, she didnt have eyeworms. Besides, your other birds would most likely have them as well. Most likely you're dealing with some type of respiratory disease.

3. shotfam

shotfam New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    The other hens are doing well...no swollen eyes and all behaving normally. Can chickens lose an eye to a respiratory disease? I don't understand how she lost feathers around the eye and why there is scale. She does not have fluid coming through her nostrils, and she is behaving normally.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Conjunctivitis, debris in the eye, pecked or scratched in the eye can cause irritation resulting in your hen scratching her eye to relieve irritation. You might've observed her shaking her head at some point. Scratching the eye introduces bacteria making her situation worse. Try giving her amoxicillin for 1 week, flush the area where her eye was with saline solution and pat dry. Then apply Neosporin ointment to the area for 1 week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by