1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eyless chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tacampbell1973, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    So I have a chick born two days ago third hatchling of three, In fact we thought the egg was a dud so i had set it on the nest box to throw away later. Next morning there he was standing in the straw yelling.so he is a survivor. But he is black and fuzzy and I have a tough time making out anything that looks like an eye. I have tried warm water and qtips in case they were matted. I dont think he is eating well as he is half the size of his siblings. I am struggling to make sure he is fed and watered.I dont know what else to do for him,

2. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Awe, poor baby...
    I had one hatch out of a dozen... and he had no eyes...
    We gave him poly vi sol, fed him applesauce, gave him water by dropper...
    He fought to stay alive but then died 10 days later....

Now I've heard that these birds with no eyes, can actually live and eat and get around on their
    own. but that didn't happen for us, I'm sorry to say....

Wishing you the best...!

3. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Thanks Mustang,
    I know this kid is a fighter so I am trying the best I can to help him. Im not 100% that he has no eyes. Somethimes I think I see eyelid, but he is black and fuzzy, and I wear reading glasses....maybe we were meant for each other. I hope he makes it, but nature has a way of weeding out the sickly and weak babies. I hope for the best for him. Oh, I put him and mama and siblings outside in a cage just to see if he perked up and ill be darned if he didn't weasel his way out of the cage and under the bars. He is better at escaping than his two "sighted" brothers!
    Take care- Theresa

4. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    With our little dude, there were no slits to the eyes, and you could tell there were no eyeballs...
    If he eats and drinks well by himself.... there is hope he will make it....
    we had to feed ours....

Glad he has spunk....!!!!

5. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Sorry ro report that despite my best efotrts my little "Flea" passed on this morning. Day 10 as you said....Probably for the best though. I loved him, he looked like a tiny bllack mole,,,,and what a fighter.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by