EYP Peritonitis questions-rather urgent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Christina99, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Christina99

Christina99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    Hello

My chook has EYP. She has been twice to the avian vet.

The first time he gave her antibiotics (don't know what and she improved very slightly and started sitting more (previously she stood all the time) but still unwell and not eating much.

The second time he has put her on Baytril tablets for 8 days.3 days into this and she seems worse.

She will occasionally eat a little spaghetti and olive oil but mostly doesn't eat.
    She pecks at things but then drops them.She drinks a little water

I am syringe-feeding her a puree of mostly oats plus a very little olive oil,ACV,eggshell,peas,garlic and sardine for calcium
    Her abdomen is not very swollen anymore but her poops are messy and liquid (whitey-cream colour with a few tiny olive blobs of solids)

She is not particularly hot or fevered and her breathing is OK but she is very zombyish and lethargic

I have read lots of the EYP posts here but there seems to be some contradictions so I wonder if people who've successfully treated this(I know it can recur) could share their tips'
    particularly:

1 )Should she have a high-protein diet for fitness or a maintenance diet (carbohydrates and water) to discourage egg production.
    2 ) I know probiotics are good but should one give probiotic yoghurt whilst she is on Baytril or afterwards,as some people swear by it whilst others say it impairs the effectiveness of antibiotics
    3) Should I give her liquid calcium?
    4) " " " aspirin?
    5) " " " multivitamins?
    6) Can Baytril actually make them feel awful?

I would be so grateful for any advice as I want to help her but don't want to do anything that could make her worse

Many Thanks
    Christina

2. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Is she bloated? That seems to be one of the signs of EYP.

Some have gotten their chickens through EYP but it does tend to recur.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am not familiar with perotinitis. However, I believe you should be feeding her scrambled eggs, a probiotic(buttermilk, live yogurt, or probios, or merriks blue ribbon(which has vites and electrolytes in it)), and some of her mash all mixed together. Her poops couild be inconsistent with regular poops because of her diet. The antibiotics will not be cancelled out by the probiotics. And continue the probiotics for 10 days after she is done taking Baytril.

As far as antibiotic baytril, I know it is a good antibiotic. Sometimes antibiotics cause loose stools in humans so could be the same fro animals.

If she is allergic to Baytril~well I think you should call the vet for that.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    PS well I am one that swears by the effectiveness of probiotics. [​IMG] You can also give her a baby aspirin per day for discomfort and to calm her. Another 'pal' staying with her could really perk her up too. Well wishes. [​IMG]

I am thinking with the food you could soften some mash with buttermilk or yogurt and sprinkle some probiotics on top if you want. Chopp up the scrambled eggs next to that and then put some of the mixture you have been feeding her next to that. And see how she does with that. If she wont eat try placing a piece of egg in her mouth.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. Christina99

Nov 2, 2011
    Dear tiki and bakerjw,

Many Thanks for your very useful and fast replies
    I am a bit desperate,since like everyone here,I absolutely adore my chooks

My hen was bloated but the swelling has now gone.
    But she doesn't seem to be any better. She is hardly eating and generally looking a bit stunned.

I will try the aspirin.
    Also feeding her live yoghurt,since you don't think it will interfere with the antibiotics.
    Are probiotics different to live yoghurt.?
    If so do you know what sort of place I would get them (I'm miles from anywhere with no car)

I'll try the scrambled egg too.
    Thing is,sometimes she acts like she wants to eat but can't.
    Vet checked her mouth and crop and said she doesn't have anything obviously wrong there.

I keep her in the hen coop with the others as I think it is less stressful for her than bringing her into the house.
    She is on a warm bed and I make sure the cockerel doesn't hassle her

Thanks again,and any more ideas very gratefully accepted as I can't bear the thought of losing her ,

Christina

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Speaking from experience some antibiotics make me feel off.

Even though chickens are social creatures I'd get her into a warm box inside and limit light to 4 hours a day to stop egg production. Not sure how long it takes for any results but it's a good place to start. When my hen had EYP last week she was miserable outside but once in a warm box she perked up. She felt poorly and didn't move much but she was looking around and generally perky.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. Christina99

Nov 2, 2011
    Hello everyone and many thanks for your help

Betty feels a bit weaker today.

Definitely has EYP (poos are typical and vet confirmed it) but I guess the sterile kind since she has had it for more than a fortnight now.

I am still syringe-feeding her-oats n water and live yoghurt pureed plus a tiny bit of green.

I tried the scrambled egg thing that was advised and she ate 3 small pieces,then stopped

It is strange-sometimes she seems like she really wants to eat but can't. Other times she's not interested at all.

She doesn't seem to have fever (I felt under wings) but when I follow the advice to keep her warm (infra-red lamp or hot water bottle) she doesn't like it.

I am doing the darkness thing and just letting her come out of the dark for 3 hours a day.

I feel bad because she seems worse since she started on the Baytril but I don't think you're supposed to stop in the middle of a course of antibiotics

I'm not sure why she is on Baytril though,because if she has sterile EYP and no fever then is infection the issue?

tiki-when you suggest a baby aspirin,what size would that be?-don't want to OD her-She is a medium to small cochin.

It is so horrible when chickens are sick isnt it-sometimes I don't know if it is worth the heartache

Any more feedback extremely welcome. This board is such a support,

Christina

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

sterile EYP

I find that such an oxymoron, honestly. She is malfunctioning, certainly. It will probably kill her, to tell the truth. All you can really do is give her a round of strong antibiotics, make sure she's getting good calcium and proper overall nutrition, sit back, wait and see if her body will repair itself. I have had tjat happen twice, though eventually, it did kill the last hen after her third relapse. I hope your Betty makes it. ETA: I've lost many hens to EYP/internal laying, however. The ones who temporarily recover are in the extreme minority.

I have one Barred Rock hen now who is 4 years old, Becca. Her issues began when I noticed her going to the nest to lay, sitting for ages, coming off with no egg. This was a great layer, like all my BR hens are. Upon examination, found her abdomen quite swollen with fluid, and we assumed infection. We gave her a 3 day round of very strong penicillin (about 1 cc per day) and that's it. Eventually, she quit going on the nest. Over several long months, her abdominal swelling subsided, but no eggs. Then about two weeks ago, she started going to the nest again, but no egg. One day, there was an egg similar to what she used to lay. The next day in the nest she had been in, another one like the first one. The third day, I felt under her to be sure there was no egg and waited. When she left, she left an egg, so it was official that she was indeed laying again. Why, I have no idea. Luck of the draw-her body worked it out somehow. I expect she will eventually relapse, though, as is the usual pattern.​

10. Christina99

Nov 2, 2011
    I went in to see her at 3am and she was alive. When I went in at 6 she had died.

I don't know why,but no animal's death has made me feel so sad.

She never felt like a pet,just another creature like me that I was privileged to share this planet with.

I don't know if I can keep chickens anymore. It is just too hearbreaking.

I came quite late to appreciating birds.
    I've always loved mammals. I guess I sort of assumed that birds were less evolved than mammals,further down the evolutionary tree.
    Instead of which I've discovered how incredibly interesting and sophisticated (in terms of complexity,not reading French novels!) their lives are.

Part of the fascination for me of hosting chickens is seeing how similar we are at a primal leval (jealousy,territorialness,the pecking order,the sheer enjoyment of basking in the sunshine,the desire to be part of the flock....) with the differences involved in being a creature living life 4 feet nearer the ground than me,without the need or ability for abstract thought or projecting itself into the future-a life lived entirely in the 'now'

She is the third chicken I have lost in 3 years. My friend over the road keeps chickens and never goes to the vet because they're not worth it to her.

I used to find this weird,but the fact is all the vets visits and injections and heat lamps and special diets and tube-feeding have never saved my chooks lives-just drawn out the suffering.
    Apart from pain medication,I am beginning to wonder if I am being cruel intervening when they are ill.

Pardon my meanderings,but if anyone will understand you guys will.

My bloke says you have to say 'yes' to everything in life,including the suffering. I know he is right.

Many thanks again for all your help. And good health and happiness to you and your chooks

love from Christina XXXXX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by