F: I went to the feedstore to buy........

CTChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
SE Connecticut
So i go to my local Agway to buy chick feed...my new babies should be arriving on Wednesday.
wee.gif
All morning long, among my other errands for the day, I kept on telling myself that the feed store was supposed to have chicks this week. I wondered if I'd be strong enough to not buy a couple! (I have 13 coming if they all survive, so I'd have to buy 2 more, 13 must be bad luck!) By the time I actually got to the feed store I had myself convinced that, no, I wasn't strong enough, and yes, I'd likely have to face the wrath of DH.

As luck would have it, they didn't have any chicks! I was actually quite disappointed. I was looking forward to bring a couple babies home. They won't have them until the end of April but TSC will have them the first week in April! Yahoo!
clap.gif

And would they let you just buy 2? Did the change the laws again? Last year I was told CT had a new law where we had to buy 6 chicks, minimum, unless you buy an older pullet, too. The farmer was very upset about it, had friends whose farms ahd been threatened by the state for non-compliance.

The law is meant to keep the mortality rate and mistreatment of chickens to a minimum, I guess by keeping dilletantes from buying chickens, because hey, if you buy 6 chickens you must know what you're doing right? It seemed like a very dumb law to me, since many people just want a few chickens for a few eggs every day, and I'd rather start off a newbie with a small flock...

Hi cointoss....I don't know if they would have let me buy just 2. I didn't tell them how many I wanted since they weren't able to get their shipment. The owner is a friend of ours so that may help. I hadn't heard of that law. I tried googling to find it but couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom