F: I went to the feedstore to buy........

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CTChickenMom, Mar 26, 2009.

1. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    So i go to my local Agway to buy chick feed...my new babies should be arriving on Wednesday. [​IMG] All morning long, among my other errands for the day, I kept on telling myself that the feed store was supposed to have chicks this week. I wondered if I'd be strong enough to not buy a couple! (I have 13 coming if they all survive, so I'd have to buy 2 more, 13 must be bad luck!) By the time I actually got to the feed store I had myself convinced that, no, I wasn't strong enough, and yes, I'd likely have to face the wrath of DH.

As luck would have it, they didn't have any chicks! I was actually quite disappointed. I was looking forward to bring a couple babies home. They won't have them until the end of April but TSC will have them the first week in April! Yahoo! [​IMG]

2. cointoss

cointoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    And would they let you just buy 2? Did the change the laws again? Last year I was told CT had a new law where we had to buy 6 chicks, minimum, unless you buy an older pullet, too. The farmer was very upset about it, had friends whose farms ahd been threatened by the state for non-compliance.

The law is meant to keep the mortality rate and mistreatment of chickens to a minimum, I guess by keeping dilletantes from buying chickens, because hey, if you buy 6 chickens you must know what you're doing right? It seemed like a very dumb law to me, since many people just want a few chickens for a few eggs every day, and I'd rather start off a newbie with a small flock...

3. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Hi cointoss....I don't know if they would have let me buy just 2. I didn't tell them how many I wanted since they weren't able to get their shipment. The owner is a friend of ours so that may help. I hadn't heard of that law. I tried googling to find it but couldn't.

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I guess it's a law now! [​IMG]

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:oops double posted! sorry didn't mean to! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by