Fabreze and Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mychal, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Mychal

Mychal New Egg

Mar 1, 2008
    New Jersey
    A friend of mine just had to take her dog to the vet. Seems the dog has been eating the carpet. There is some talk that dogs are attracted to Fabreeze and will eat the fibers of the carpet. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Best to all
    ray

2. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    never heard that.

i can think of several inappropriate jokes, but i will try not to share them. [​IMG]

hope your friend's dog recovers.

3. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    We use fabreze and my lab has never tried to chew the carpet! I've never heard that either!

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I haven't heard that, but I have heard of some stupid people using it on their dogs to make them smell better [​IMG] Needless to say it can make them sick.

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have 6 dogs -- 4 of those being rather large Boxers and I have never had a problem with my dogs eating anything I sprayed with Fabreze - but of course some dogs are strange and will eat anything

Julie

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    <<guilty of spraying my dogs with Febreeze from time to time (with no ill effect, I might add)>>

I am a Febreeze freak - and my animals don't chew the carpet, furniture, etc. Your friends dog must just like to chew [​IMG].

7. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:I TOO am guilty of that when in a pinch and the dogs stink...and well...my dogs don't eat each other [​IMG] (We have hard wood floors) [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If you do a search on snopes.com I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about febreze and dogs on there a while back.... let me see if I can find it

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

There's the link - all about febreze and it's safety around pets. Reader's Digest version: it's safe around pets when used as directed.

Doesn't address dogs obsessing/chewing on items sprayed with febreze...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  9. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I, too, am addicted to Febreeze. I spray everything. The dog's bedding, the carpet, curtains, furniture, shower curtains, EVERYTHING. I have the Mr. Clean with Febreeze, the laundry soap, and oh! now they have Magic Erasers with it!!!!

Ahem - anyway, my boxer is a freak chewer - kid's toys, mops, furniture legs ( [​IMG] ) ... we joke that he'd chew us if we were still long enough ... and he hasn't been sick from Febreeze. I'm even guilty of giving him a spritz when I haven't had him to the groomers' and we have company coming over.

Em

10. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    <---anti febreeze.

i hate febreeze. my dog smells better than febreeze does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by