Fabric - A warning to all poultry owners.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Revan, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Revan

Revan Songster

Jul 3, 2017
    Modoc County, California
    Today, I learned a hard lesson. Fabric, and the dangers it poses to poultry. Loose threads and string look appetizing to chickens, which can lead to being ingested. If the string is still attached to the fabric, the situation can became deadly. I found my little bantam rooster just a half hour past, with a string hanging from his mouth and his whole esophagus pulled out, and yet he was still alive. It was horrifying, and devastating. I'm still crying as I type this, but it's something that needs to be said so that other poultry owners are informed of the risks of fabric around their flocks.

Baby Boy was in a lot of pain, and our vet doesn't work much with chickens, so we eased his passing and buried him. I will miss you, my little friend. ;_;

2017 July 8 - Baby Boy 1.JPG

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sorry For your Loss.

I had a goose eat a three foot long string luckily she survived.

3. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    I'm so sorry about your Bantam rooster! Thank you for the warning. I am always careful about long strings, such as the ones from my feed bags, because they can also cause impacted crop.

Bluechick2u and Revan like this.
  4. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    OMG, that must have been terrifying! I'm so sorry.

5. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Songster

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    So sorry for your loss. .

6. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Hug a friend today.

May 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Yeah, lots of animals will do that... one cat I had survived eating an entire spool of thread.

7. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The Wicked

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs
    Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us of what happened.

Revan and Abriana like this.
  8. Bluechick2u

Bluechick2u Songster

Jan 12, 2016
    Prineville, OR
    Had a cat swallow thread, had to snip the "sausages" (yuk) off for a few days till all the thread was finished going thru, tried to pull it but was afraid to have the guts come out, since then I've been hypervigilant about threads (feed bag pieces) getting stuck in my chickens, so thank you for posting your story so others can be warned. Nobody should have to experience it.

Revan and Abriana like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: