Fabric organization help

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by DuckLady, Sep 2, 2009.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes I am having an obsessive moment where I have this NEED to organize my fabrics by color.
    I am looking online for a chart telling me the proper progression of colors if I start with white and progess to black.

This is my main fabric wall. I also have 2 other sections with specialty fabrics, like flannel and bolts and apron specfic fabric. I also have not unpacked about a third of my fabric.

[​IMG]

This is driving me CRAZY! [​IMG] It is SUCH a mess!

Can anyone help? Or can give me a valium and tell me to chill and it is not all that important?

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are you stocking a store?? Wow, that's a lot of fabric!

3. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    There is only one fabric store up here and they are at quilt shop prices. I stocked up before we moved. [​IMG]

4. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Like a color wheel that painters use?

....just add white before yellow and black after red violet (or whatever the darkest is...).

ETA: Sure you don't want to also sub-divide according to your the pattern on the fabric....Calicos, Paisleys, Florals, Plaids, Stripes, etc, etc, etc.????

If you want to be obsessive, I can help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    HOLY COW!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Girl you better SEW,SEW,SEW!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

6. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes, Tammy! You UNDERSTAND!!!! [​IMG]

Yes, each color is subdivided.
    for example each one has
    Tonals/Solids
    Prints
    Floral
    Of course, this is only colors. I also have catagories, like Juvenile, Reproductions, Foods, Farm, Chickens, Waterfowl, Christmas(subdivided into colors) and Polka Dots

7. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Personally, I would divide them into the colors first and then subdivide each color into your fabric types (velvets, cotton, wools) and then into pattern types (reproductions, juv, florals). If you want a red velvet reproduction then you go to that shelf.

ETA: If you have specific projects like your aprons then maybe it would be better to separate out those fabrics. I know I'm kind of covering all bases here but maybe FIRST you prioritize your projects, then decide how to manage the fabric.

ETAA: I think I just repeated here what you said above...! Sorry! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Look at all that fabric!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Someone call 911 [​IMG] Your fabrics are beautiful and bountiful....BUT.........you need to get a grip! Separate them in to colors - you know all the shades of the primary colors...then divide into fabrics as previously suggested but then.................GIVE IT A REST. [​IMG] Hon, if you need something to do then you must start sewing more aprons and have more give-a-ways. [​IMG]
    I seriously thought you had way too much on your plate to begin with but now?????????????? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by