Face Feathers Gone

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 18angovem, Jan 7, 2015.

1. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Hi sorry for the bad pic but my new female chocolate call is starting to lose her face feathers I noticed this a few days ago and it is just getting worse. Could it be another duck doing this, the ducks are mating. Could it be a chicken there are three chickens in their pen? I dont know any ideas

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Chickens are bad for feather picking, is it down to her skin? I would put up a fence between to ducks and chickens, just safer those sharp beaks and cause serious harm. Usually if it's from mating she will lose some feathers on her head and neck.

3. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

4. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Well I thought she might be safe because the chickens were silkies but I guess not. I bought 4 silkies and hatched out 2, 5 were roosters and 1 is a hen. I removed all but 2 roosters and the hen. The one I couldnt decide if it was a hen or rooster so I kept it. I now know its a rooster because it mounts EVERYTHING!!!

5. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Do you still think it is chickens now that the pic. is up?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That could be from mating, I haven't ever had a female duck lose feathers in that part of her head from mating but I guess it could be possible. Since she is new have you looked her over for mites? do you notice her scratching her face alot? Any other part of her head missing feathers? Another thing you have to be careful of with having chickens and ducks together is a drake when hormonal will try to mate with chicken hens and that will be a death sentence for the hens. Not all drakes do this but I'd keep an eye out just to make sure. No blood showing so that good. Another thing you have to watch out for with chickens is they are drawn to wounds especially if red or bloody.What I'd do is check her good for mites, then get some Blue Kote and spray her head where the skin is showing, [becareful nbot to get BK in her eyes or nares or mouth, around the face I use a cotton ball to apply, q tip will work too. But BK will disguise any skin or wound or redness. it is also good to heal any ouches too. So you'll know what your looking for http://www.grit.com/animals/poultry...-in-your-backyard-chickens.aspx#axzz3OAtKXmSv

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  7. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    I spray down this medicine that gets rid of mites and checked her over and she was fine; Could the drakes kill the hen even though they are calls and show quality. I really hope nothing is wrong with this hen I payed a lot for and then had her shipped. She won states at kentucky last year. She is beautiful and her head was big and cute until the face feathers started disappearing and now she looks like a good duck body and everything with a weird head.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How many drakes are mating with this hen? Any duck is vulnerable to injury or even death if gang raped by many drakes especially if they have access to water, which is easier on the ducks for mating but can also cause problems if too many drakes.She sounds like an awesome duck You can always separate her from the drakes and give her time to regrow her feathers but if you have more than one drake going after her it won't do much good once you put her back, even 1 drake will over use her, actually you need 2-4 ducks to 1 drake. Do you plan on showing her?

9. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    I do plan on showing her, I bought her mate with her and he is even better quality!!!! I have 4 drakes and 4 hens. They are all together, I know there should be more hens but all my hens but 4 died this year and 2 of my drakes. I have one "aggressive" male, he isnt exactly aggressive but he mates with all the hens. my ducks kinda mate in pairs and only mate with their chosen female. I have a LONG process to make this happen but the one drake I did not get time to do this and he mates with all the ducks. I have seen only her mate and the all around drake mate with her. I have a 1000 gallon pond that I have seen them mate in but due to the cold the last few days they have been inside so they have been not mating on water.

10. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    What should I do, I have an extra rabbit hutch I can modify to be a call duck breeding pen so she and her mate can be together. Then I can sell the eggs for more too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by