1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Face mite problem on peafowl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LemonWeenie, Oct 17, 2013.

1. LemonWeenie

LemonWeenie New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Hello there! I am new to posting on BYC but I always look whenever my birds have problems.

Recently I had noticed some kind of flea/mite on my birds faces. It was the chickens at first. I researched it a bit but all I could find was put Vaseline on their faces. Which I did. It seemed to help for a time but now a few days ago one of my young peafowl manage to catch these mites. They are all over her face. Here are some pictures. I am sorry I took these with my phone I hope you can tell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Could any one tell me what to do for these mites besides Vaseline? Are there any other treatments?

All of my birds are free range besides the peafowl you see in the photo. She is staying in a large outside cage until she is big enough to roam with the others. None of the other peafowl have these mites only the chickens and this one. ):

Thank you in advanced!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

If they are biting mites and not feather lice, you could treat them with pour on ivermectin, oral ivermectin, but that won't work on feather lice. Poultry dust or 5% Sevin dust will work on both.

What's odd to me is that they are black and quite visible on the face, which mites usually aren't so visible, so maybe they're something else?

-Kathy

3. LemonWeenie

LemonWeenie New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Thank you Kathy! I will get the sevin dust and see if it helps.

And yes it is quite strange! These mite things look exactly like fleas but they do not have jumper legs like fleas do. Its so strange! ):

4. LemonWeenie

LemonWeenie New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Oh gosh I feel so dumb. I did a bit more research and I've found a parasite called Sticktight flea.
    They look exactly like what is on my birds!!

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I've never seen those before... How does one deal with them?

-Kathy

6. LemonWeenie

LemonWeenie New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Well it says on the post I am reading that you use Sevin dust around where the birds hang out mostly and adams kitten and puppy flea spray on the birds!

I am glad I know what they are now. I do wish I knew where they came from though.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's info on the Stick Tight flea. Fortunately I havnt had to deal with them but I have seen them on poultry at local swap meets:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg236

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Never seen them before, but with my luck, that'll be next, lol. Nasty little bugs!

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Since they suck blood, would ivermectin work? Just curious...

-Kathy

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It would be worth a try Kathy. However, I know another BYC member that has used ivermectin without success. Unfortunately due to all the rain we've had, her property has had an explosion of the bloodsuckers...tough to get rid of. I suggested malathion to treat the property and birds, but I dont know if she did it or not. I really dont know if it would help due to all the rain causing the infestation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by