Face Peel

Bob 1313

Chirping
Sep 29, 2019
We have a male Cochin whose face, wattle and comb turned white. Had the appearance of a bad case of scaly face mites. Treated him and his girls with ivermectin while swabbing the affected areas with coconut oil and later switching to petroleum jelly. After discontinuing the vaseline, it seems as though the skin on his face is very thick and wanting to peel.
Has anybody else had experience with this?
Is there something we should be doing?

Welcome to BYC. It is possible that the chicken might have a fungus called favus or something else. Could you post any pictures of the chicken? The pictures I have seen of possible scaly face mites looks a bit like favus, so it might be worth a try to treat for it. Favus is treated with antifungal cream such as clotrimazole (Lotrimin) or miconazole (Monistat.) Here is a picture of favus:

upload_2019-9-29_18-48-15.jpeg

We have a male Cochin whose face, wattle and comb turned white. Had the appearance of a bad case of scaly face mites. Treated him and his girls with ivermectin while swabbing the affected areas with coconut oil and later switching to petroleum jelly. After discontinuing the vaseline, it seems as though the skin on his face is very thick and wanting to peel.
Has anybody else had experience with this?
Is there something we should be doing?
:welcome
Can you post some photos?

Yes, pics, please.

...and Welcome to BYC @Bob 1313 ..sorry you're having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-29_18-59-4.png

Unfortunately, we did not take pictures when first discovered. It was late in the day and and were more interested in starting treatment.
I will post a photo borrowed from the internet that shows how the condition appeared, except our bird's was more extensive in that it covered his whole face, wattles and the "base" of his comb.
Almost looked like he was doing Kabuki Theatre.
After a little over three weeks, we stopped the nightly petroleum applications having seen positive results and read somewhere that that was about the proper length of treatment. Afterwards we thought that his face had taken on a greyish/beige color from our lovely clay soil dust sticking to the Vaseline. Now I believe it may just be dead skin that needs to slough off, even picked some loose pieces off around his eyes and ears.
Does this sound right?
Do I need to get him a loofah?
Scaly Face Mites .jpg

Could have been scaly face mites or fungal infection like Favus as suggested. Vaseline can be a little drying, you may want to apply a bit more coconut oil or even try an anti-fungal cream (athlete's foot cream) for a few days to see if that helps.
I'm not sure about sloughing off the skin or not, you could try it on one small spot and gauge how well it does over the course of several days, if that clears it up, then do a bit more.
I would also provide poultry vitamins for a few days that contains Vitamin A.

Back
Top Bottom