Facebook, are you kidding me? "Simplified" User privacy settings?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nifty-Chicken, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Okay, I'm a huge fan of Facebook, but I swear they have some of the most idiotic user interface designers in the world!

I just got the popup for FB's "Simplified Privacy Settings" and it has to be the WORST and most confusing user setting screen EVER! You'd think a 15 year old geek in his parent's basement came up with the design. Good luck with that FB.

For example, there were "radio button" options (basically either/or) for email privacy settings. Get this, here were my two options to choose from: "Friends" or "Friends Only"

Seriously Facebook? You need to give me the option to choose between two things that are the same?

I guess they are just trying to confuse people into selecting whatever settings they want them to choose (i.e., make all your info public to everyone).

WORST USER INTERFACE DESIGN EVER!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My choices were "everyone" and "Old settings"

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I ended up with old settings since the only other choice was everyone. Don't want everyone, just my friends.

4. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

I know right.. how stupid is that.. I just signed in and it asked me the same thing.. .. that was not simplified.. now I have to go make sure everything is how it should be.

5. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    seems whenever these social networking sites go an "upgrade," their data or whatnot...it's always worse. always more complicated.

6. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

one of these days they are going to want to charge us.

7. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I'm not allowed to do facebook. DH doesn't trust it. Thankfully anything really important will be on BYC. [​IMG]

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I got so lost tonight while trying to upload photos... remember when Myspace was cool? [​IMG]

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:That's what I got. I was pretty happy with my old settings, so I guess it was easy enough to just pick "old settings" on everything. [​IMG]

How was that a change though??

eh, whatever.

10. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    funny thing is...it's considered 'hip,' nowadays NOT to have a facebook/myspace with the younger gen...i stick with facebook because it tends to be less raunchy and sexual...as opposed to myspace which seems to be inhabited by ex-strippers and hoodlum types who have confused the term "hot," with trashy. matter of fact, if i had kids, i wouldn't allow them anywhere near myspace... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by