Facebook changes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Robin'sBrood, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    What do y'all think of this?

The controversy came a day after Facebook began requiring users to refine settings with a new software tool that lets them specify who gets to be privy to each piece of content uploaded to the website.

While the Facebook privacy overhaul has laudable features, there is a push to get the online community's members to expose information, according to EFF.

"Facebook's new changes are obviously intended to get people to open up even more of their Facebook data to the public," EFF lawyer Kevin Bankston said in a blog post.

"The Facebook privacy transition tool is clearly designed to push users to share much more of their Facebook info with everyone, a worrisome development that will likely cause a major shift in privacy level for most of Facebook's users, whether intentionally or inadvertently."

Prior to the change, Facebook users could keep everything but their names and networks private.

A newly created "public" category at Facebook now includes names, profile pictures, home cities, pages users have joined as "fans," gender and friend lists.

"There is a whole lot more information that users have no ability to keep private," Ozer noted.

Read the whole article here... http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091211/tc_afp/usitcompanyprivacyinternetfacebook_20091211033403

So
    ... is the privacy better now, or worse?​

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Honestly I haven't noticed a difference. [​IMG]

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Me either, except that when you post a link it lets you select who can see it.

4. debilorrah

Robin'sBrood :

Me either, except that when you post a link it lets you select who can see it.

I can't seem to stop talking long enough to post links. [​IMG]

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Well, you aren't called The Great Yappy for nothing.

6. debilorrah

Robin'sBrood :

[​IMG] Well, you aren't called The Great Yappy for nothing.

I know that. I really don't talk a lot in real life. Don't tell Ken I said that [​IMG]

7. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Easy enough, I just have everything as my 'Old Settings'. No major change, not a problem either [​IMG]

8. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I just kept my old settings which is only my friends see what i'm doing [​IMG]

I don't see it as being any different

9. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Hate to quote my own self but due to this thread i went and checked my settings and to my suprise they had been changed!! [​IMG]
    I changed them back to my previous settings and I advise everyone here to go check your privacy settings [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Hate to quote my own self but due to this thread i went and checked my settings and to my suprise they had been changed!! [​IMG]
    I changed them back to my previous settings and I advise everyone here to go check your privacy settings [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by