Facial injury? Or infection? and how to treat?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by arkyartist, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. arkyartist

arkyartist Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    ARK
    0AE6FB5B-7C65-43B4-9045-11E67A7584DA.jpeg This is Prince Charming. I discovered him this evening (in his pen, they don’t free-range) looking like this. I found what I believe to be a medium-sized pool of blood in the sand below his favorite rafter and further “drips” from there but he’s shown no sign prior to this. He’s probably just at a year old as I got him last year around Labor Day as a 3-month old. I’m showing both right and left sides to make certain I’m not missing a potential sinus infection, but he’s shown no symptoms whatsoever.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Crowing

Jan 13, 2012
    Dunedin, NZ
    Poor PC! :(

This looks like dried blood? If so, it's likely an injury - it's hard to tell whether it's on his face or if he bled out of his nare? It is a good sign that he does not have other symptoms, but you will need to keep an eye on him in case he's hiding something.

I'd suggest that you gently clean his face with a warm wet cloth to see what's going on there - in case it's something that needs veterinary attention.

arkyartist and casportpony like this.
  3. arkyartist

arkyartist Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    ARK
    Thank you! I just panicked when I bee-bopped through their pen. I told Cinderella it was all going to be fine, that I’d checked with the best resources (their breeder and the good folks of BYC) and she said she would watch over PC tonight for me!

4. arkyartist

arkyartist Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    ARK
    Follow up. Cleaned (as best as he would allow) and put triple antibiotic cream on two places. We never could decide if the actual puncture was right behind his eye or underneath. Nonetheless... he got held! And didn’t like it one bit!

Attached Files:

5. I can't say that there is a wound on his face but it is possible and also possible that he bonked his head and bled out the nare, or he broke a blood feather under his wing and got blood on his face when he was picking at it. At any rate, he is in no jeopardy and will be fine soon.

arkyartist likes this.
  6. arkyartist

arkyartist Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    ARK
    Thanks! He is MUCH BETTER today! I’m just a helicopter Mom!

new 2 pfowl and KsKingBee like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: