Facial redness and swelling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kpgoldstar, Nov 3, 2013.

1. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    HELP!
    I have 4 RIR's that will be 6 weeks old on Tuesday. Lemon has been the slowest to develop. She is smaller than the other birds, tends to be on the lazy side. Her head feathers have not filled in as well as the others. She gets to eat with the others, there is no pecking going on except for arguing over a roost when they go to bed. They've been in their coop and run full time for a couple of weeks. A few days ago I noticed she had a few missing feathers on her neck and her neck is much skinnier than anyone else's. They pretty much got the full run of the yard this weekend since we were home and working in the garden. This afternoon I noticed she now has a pink tinge to her face, around her eyes, etc and raised bumps that are also pink behind her ears. Could she have gotten an irritation from one of my herbs? Did she possibly eat something she shouldn't have? No one else has these symptoms. She is acting normally, not weak. Does it look topical, or internal?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was a pic I took the other day which is what everyone else's head and face look like.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Even though you aren't seeing any pecking, they are at the age where their pecking order is being established. So, unless they have mites (which you could check for) they are probably doing a little pecking. This is normal behavior as long as it doesn't get too violent. Here is a good picture of mite and lice eggs for future reference: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

3. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    I did check for mites and they are clean. There could be some pecking although they were out in the yard with me all day long and I never saw any. They are fed ff, so some of it splashes up onto their bodies as they eat, and they could peck it off one another. And she is certainly lowest on pecking order.

My main concern is the redness. Her sisters of the same age have white to clear skin surrounding their faces (eyes, beaks). Hers was just an angry red/pink with what seemed to be a swollen gland behind the ear. I was hoping it wasn't some sort of infection that could spread to the rest.

This morning it was the same. Tonight when I got home from work, no change again in color or swelling. Still pinker/redder than my comfort zone compared to the others. She has no change in behavior.

Thanks for any additional insight. I have posted a couple other places and so far everyone has said that she is perfectly pink in all the right places, but why so different than her coopmates?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by