Facial swelling/eye closure

Bob T

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2013
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I have a 5 month old cuckoo Orpington. The left side of her face has been swollen for over a week. Please see accompanying pictures. Although the eye is almost closed it remains dry. There is no nasal discharge or abnormal smell. She is in no distress; she has no difficulty breathing. She is eating, drinking and pooping normally. I treated her with Tylan 50 injections IM (3/4cc/day) and with Duramycin 10 in her water (the recommended dosage) for 7 days. I've been applying warm compresses and flushing her left nostril with a dilute solution of VetRx a couple of times a day. I've given her a couple of drops of VetRx orally as well as applying it to her face. For the last few days I've been putting Terramycin ointment in her left eye. She has shown slight improvement. Although the eye is open slightly more than it was prior to treatment the amount of facial swelling is similar. [/FONT]I am no longer giving her the Tylan or Duramycin since the recommended time period for treatment is up.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]She was immediately quarantined when I first noticed the problem. I treated the rest of the flock with the Duramycin just in case this was Coryza. They remain in good shape without symptoms.
Any suggestions? Thanks.[/FONT]

If you hadn't already treated her with both Tylan and Duramycin, I would suggest treating with Tylan. Obviously, though, that didn't make any difference. What does the swelling on the face feel like? Is it hard or soft, and is it warm?

Duramycin 10 can be given for 7-14 days. I can see some improvement in the after picture. There is a med called Denagard that can be given in conjunction with tetracycline to treat resistant diseases. I would try some on her. It is bitter tasting, so many people give it with a little honey or something to mask it. The dose is 25-50 mg per each 2.2 lbs.

If it's not to much to ask, who is your source for Denagard? Thanks.

I can't seem to find it online yet except for a phone number for Novartus the company that makes it. It is 1-800-637-0281. Maybe if you post in the regular forum someone may have a source.

Back
Top Bottom