fact or fiction, I need to mate my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kanga77510, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I have a friend who tells me I need to mate my hens before they'll lay. My grandma (who raised birds for years-and is thrilled I have hens) says I don't need to mate them before laying.

I just read another thread, and it seems like laying and mating are at about the same developmental milestones.

Who's right?

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Hens don't need to be mated so that they will lay complete myth.

3. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    [​IMG] from Florida

You DO NOT have to mate your chickens to get them to lay. The only time you have to mate them is when you want fertile eggs for hatching.

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Grandma knows best! [​IMG]

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I've had hens for years (5-6 yrs.) and have never had a roo. I always had eggs.
    Just recently got a roo (accidentally) and tho' I love him and he is sweet, I like it better without a roo.

6. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Wonder why alot of people think this? I have had 2 "old timers" tell me this when I was talking about getting rid of all roosters and just keeping my hens. They both said the same thing...you gotta have a Roo to get eggs. I just smiled. Didn't want to make them feel like they weren't giving me good advice. Of course I knew better. You only need a roo if you are wanting those eggs to turn to babies.

7. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:No babies, not right now. We'll have no roosters for a while, I guess you could call that farm birth control! lol Maybe some folks think chickens are like cows or goats, they have to breed and give birth to produce milk.

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

IF you want eggs that are fertile then you need a rooster.

IF you just want eggs.... the hens wil do their own thing, rooster or not.

Dont need no men to make eggs lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by