1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FACT OR FICTION?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    A friend told me that hens lay better if you play music for them. She said she played elevator music and egg production increased.

Any thoughts?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    What about singing at them? [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I doubt it.. but i guess its possible.... If they're stressed they wont lay and music playing calms them down, But i doubt elavator music would keep them calm almost everyone hates it [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I know my horses were always much more settled and content when I left the radio in the barn for them. So, I supose it could work for chickens too. [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Very interesting !!!! If you decide to do it let us know how it works !!

6. ChixDigMe

ChixDigMe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Snow Country - NY
    IMO, that's mostly fiction. Although there may be some debatable truth to it, I don't think it's directly related.

Storey's GTRC mentions playing music to increase growth rate of meat birds. Pg 72.
    "Fowls favor euphonious sounds - a phenomenon discovered by animal physiologist Gadi Gvaryahu, who found a flock of chickens crowded around a radio inadvertently left running. As Gvaryahu discovered, you can boost the growth rate of meat birds by letting them listen to classical music"

I play a radio for my girls (a local jazz station that does a wide variety of music and NPR so they can keep up on current events too. [​IMG]), I do it mostly to keep them occupied and less likely to pick feathers and reduce stress. The reduced stress could increase egg production.

CityGirlInTheCountry - in my case, I think if I sang to my girls, egg production would decrease.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I make up little songs when I'm out cleaning the coop about the chickens... And when Olympia was a chick and rode around on my head without ripping my hair out, I would sit, play the guitar, and sing about her... with her on my head. I think it's a myth though.

BTW, ChixDigMe, our birds must be very stunted because I play them loud heavy rock music [​IMG]

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Music that has the same beat as a human heart calms people and music with a higher beat will boost energy of a human. Plants grow better with some types of music (not rock). So, why not chikcens and egg growth? There must be a correlation IMO.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Poop.

10. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I put a radio out in the run/coop and turned on an oldies station.

They were free ranging........now out of 42 I have 31 in the run. Door is open and they are free to range but most are hanging out inside.

Not exactly scientific but interesting nontheless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by