Fact or myth?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Suzierd, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Are the blue/green eggs lower in cholesterol? Are silkie eggs healthier? Perhaps the next super food? Any thoughts

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    The color of the egg does not affect the insides. A store bought egg is a store bought egg and a home grown egg is a home grown egg no matter the color. Same nutrition in any color.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That is a Big Myth.

Chris

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've also read that it's a myth but I have heard that all eggs from backyard hens are generally lower in cholesterol and higher in vitamins because of the varied diet the hens get.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And I know I'm going to stir the pot here, but the cholesterol you eat from natural sources doesn't necessarily effect blood cholesterol. And blood cholesterol is not an indicator of heart disease or heart attack. Anyone still believing the lipid hypothesis needs to read some newer research, Gary Taubes is a good place to start. Or, if you're not a reader, watch Fat Head, it's available on Neflix.

All that said, eggs have the same amount. The Omega-3s can be higher in free ranged eggs.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    X2

7. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I heard Doctor Oz say eggs are not high in cholesterol that is a myth. Good to know, thanks for the replies.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Shell color is irrelevant. Breed and variety is irrelevant.

What and how you feed them IS relevant to a degree.

9. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    X2

Eggs are high in cholesterol but eating one a day is fine as the benefits from them are far better. They are a good source of low calorie protein,lutein and other important minerals. Went to my doctor the other day and told him that I have chickens but don't eat a lot of eggs and he said it is a myth that they are bad. He basically said don't 3 eggs a day every day,no different than anything else......moderation,moderation,moderation

10. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Most high cholesterol problems in humans can be attributed to a bad choice of parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by