Factoring in deaths or mis-sexed chicks when buying for a small flock

My first batches of store-bought chicks were supposed to be all pullets. Out of the 6 RIRs, there were no roos. Out of the 6 Buff Orpingtons, there was one roo. Out of the two barred rocks, one was a roo. Out of the 7 Australorps, none was a roo. Sometimes you just get a roo they missed...
hmm.png
If the BR roo hadn't started really wanting to challenge my Alpha RIR roo I already had, I would not have sold him. I was blessed to be able to sell him to a lady who wanted to use him in a breeding project so he's living happily with his own little Australorp harem. The BO roo is not as aggressive, so he gets along OK with the big RIR. Just don't order straight run!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well then accept the fact that you're going to end up with 4. Once you get there and see those cute little balls of fluff, your wife won't be able to resist!
tongue.png

Hi there,

I thought I'd follow up and say that, yes, we did end up getting four. So far, all four of them look like they'll be hens after all, so maybe I should have just stuck with three instead of getting four. On the other hand, we picked up an extra buff orpington and one of them is my absolute favorite (she loves coming out of the box to visit and cuddle) while the other is a bit more shy.

13340_3078_1087874449319_1600188702_30187444_2262114_n.jpg

It was worth getting four just to get her. Now I just have to find a home for one of the others!
hmm.png

Quote:
I would if I had the space, but I really don't. With four, our coop and run would barely be large enough—the coop has about 16 square feet of floor space; the run, 40. I'd rather give them a little extra room than stress them out. Granted, the run isn't built yet, so it could get bigger, but I'm not sure my wife would appreciate that. :p

Last edited:
Well, the general space rule is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird for the run. Your set up is perfect for 4. You're doing better then a lot of people! (including me!)

ETA-One thing to realize on this site is that it's full of enablers! Can you tell?

Last edited:
Ok, last year I went to the feed store to get the newly delivered chicks. I wanted to have enough for a family of 5, 4 adults and one 15 year old who is very active....

So I decideded that some would not live -2, some would be male another -2, 6 to 8 hens would be great, enough for us and some to give away.....

See my siggy line? Every single one of them is a hen and they give me eggs on a very regular basis. I have two regular customers - and I still have enough eggs to think about using them for shampoo!

Now, where is that recipe??

LOL

Have fun picking - I got two of everything, but 3 of the RIR. My future picks RIR and EE - big ole eggs and regular laying.

I would get 4. Out of my 20 chicks, one was killed by a dog, two died for no apparent reason and one turned out to be a Roo. All of my chicks have come from Ideal.

Back
Top Bottom