Facts about Red Sex Links needed!!!

BunnyLover44

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Orlando Flordia
Hey, I need some info. about red sex links because all the chicken books I own dont have anything about red sex links. Help me plz!!
barnie.gif

BunnyLover44

They can be sexed at birth by coloring (females are reddish brown, males are white). They come from cross breeding a Rhode Island red, or New Hampshire red rooster with a white hen (I've read several breeds of hen that can be used, but they will typically have white coloring). Great egg layers, cold hardy...

They are my specialty!!! Ive had them for 10 years....They need oyster shell mixed with their food because they lay ALOT of eggs, I mix it in, Mine prefer crumble layer food, and make sure if yours dont free range to give em lots of grass, lettuce etc, they love snacks, Not too much junk food because they can fatten up and easily get eggbound (it takes alot for them to get egg bound) but if they start getting around the 6 or 7 lb mark problems can start, a healthy weight is around 5 lbs. They like to forage and scratch. ....Any other questions feel free to ask me

I've kept both red and black--both are good egg layers over several years beginning in about their 6th month. Their big advantage is the ease at which the chicks can be sexed so one can get all pullets--something those keeping chickens where keeping roosters is ban. Any information on keeping Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rock or any of the larger, brown egg layers will apply. Right now I have a few that are going into their 4th year and still laying 3/4 eggs a week. Remember, however, if you keep them in a mixed flock and wish to breed them that they are mutts and will not breed true.

Back
Top Bottom