Fahrenheit - 15.8 °

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Frank Phinster, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone,
    although not a typical occurence for march in middle europe, weather forecast claims that my region is about to face temperatures around -9 °C ( -15.8 °F ). My ducklings have experienced some cold nights before, but none that cold. Altough they have grown large and have feathers on chest, belly and shoulders I worry that they might not cope with the temperatures tonight. The shed has no insulation (aside from the fact that it is errected on four short pols to prevent to floor of the shed to touch the ground) and air can float in from the outside through gaps between roof and walls.
    I would bring the whole duck family into my additional coop in the basement if required.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    How many are there, I forget? If there is a bunch, they may be okay because they'll huddle together. Any way of putting a heat lamp out? If a heat lamp is out, maybe just bring the babies in. A night away shouldn't affect much. Adults should be fine.

3. Frank Phinster

I just see that I got something wrong with the temperatures. As most europeans it confuses me a little that temperatures in Fahrenheit below freezing temperature do not necessarily have a minus like in Celsius. So it will become 15.8 °F, not -15.8 °F. Still pretty cold, though.

They are a bunch of five and I don't have a functioning heat lamp.
    When they were very little whe sometimes had nights with temperatures of 21.2 °C but then they were warmed by their mother.
    Thanks for your reply [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If that is going to be the low temp, for an hour or two (thats usually what happens here) I think they should be okay. I've had 18F for a few hours overnight when mine were less than 3 months.

5. Frank Phinster

It says that rock bottom will be reached at about 7:00 AM, and around 10:00 AM temperatures will reach 23 °F again. So it should be just a matter of a few hours.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by