Fail to them! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvchikies, Jan 20, 2009.

1. luvchikies

luvchikies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    yesterday and today the power went out for the whole neighborhood fortunately I had my laptop charged and a I have a battery lamp. I put the lamp on one side of the still-air incubator little giant well actually I put it on the left window and the thermometer in the middle of the left window with the eggs around it. I put a lot of wet stuff to bring the humidity up to 60% but I could only manage to get it up from 30% to 54%. The temperature stays around 98.5-102.6 and the humidity stays constant 54%. If somehow I see a pip any of this days and the chicks can't manage to get out because the humidity is too low I will try to help. I already put A LOT of wet stuff I mean A LOT! but the humidity only stays 54% on the right window of the bator it is like Smogish but on the window with the light theres no smog and the eggs seem dry and not wet I was specting the eggs to be like sweating but the aren't maybe because the light is doing something and it ain't allowing to be smog maybe thats why the other side it is smog because theres no light. Well do you think they would at least pip??? I've heard they need humidity to MOVE around to brake the shell but like the humidity is not too low just like for 6% off because it stays at 54% at least they would pip but not brake the shell won't they??? or will they die? If I hear them chirping I would brake the shell for them IF I DON'T SEE A PIP!.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I hope all is well. I'll bet they're fine. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    THe eggs should not appear moist; I'm sure you're fine! What day are you on? Is today day 21?

4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    It's probably tempting to help them break through, but don't do it.
    Sometimes it depends on the breed, for instance, my Buff Orps pip then zipper right around and pop out 15 minutes after pipping. The OEGB's on the other hand, pip and sit there for a whole day until coming out and they take hours.

The important thing is to keep the lid closed and the temp & humidity stable. If you get to day 23 and you hear them peeping inside the shell but no pip, you could poke a tiny hole to give them more air. Busting them out is a last resort.....

Good luck!

5. luvchikies

Jan 6, 2009
    don't you think the humidity is too low though????

6. luvchikies

Jan 6, 2009
    today is day 18

7. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    I had a power outage here on Christmas day and it lasted for 14 hours. Everything was to hatch out on New Years eve out of 40 eggs I had 36 hatch. My humidity was a little low but I didn't have to help any of them out at all.

8. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Mine all hatch at 56%. I think your eggs will be fine.

9. luvchikies

Jan 6, 2009
    So I just leave it like it is. But if I hear a peep and it hasn't a pip can I help him? at what day should they start chirping?

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Peeping is normal. Don't touch the eggs or open the bator. I've had chicks pip on day 24 before especially after power outages or lowered temps. Don't touch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by