Failed Attempt...Starting over.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckingcanadian, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cluckingcanadian

cluckingcanadian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I set some eggs 23 days ago. At day 3 and 7 two eggs were veining nicely. Around the 15 day mark one egg was losing its veins, no movement, etc. I took it out and sure enough it did not develop past a kidney bean.

On day 18 my lone egg was rocking and I was excited at what the next 3 days would bring. Tonight marked a full 23 days so I candled my lone egg and there was no movement at all. I opened it up to find a tiny dead chick with a body cavity that did not fully close. [​IMG]

This was my first hatch.

I had some slight variations in humidity but no change in temps at all throughout the 23 days.

Tonight marks the start of a second hatch. I have 3 silkie eggs, 4 white leghorn eggs, and 5 brown leghorns all from my own flock.

Here's some success the second time around. I will be anxious for May 1!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Sorry about your first hatch. [​IMG]
    Good luck with this one! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

It would have been nice to figure out what went wrong.
    Better luck next time!

4. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm sorry for your sad results - it's heartbreaking to put so much anticipation into hatching eggs and have it be a failure.

I wish you great success on your next set of eggs.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Agree..Did you check your thermometer and hygrometer by comparing it to another one? I would wager to guess your thermometer is reading higher than it actually is, thus the fully developed chick with unabsorbed yolk. Check that temp. [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    maybe you could try bigger batches, up your chances that one will make it. Plus all the mass of the eggs themselves helps keep the incubator stable. Good luck on the next hatch! Don't give up.

7. cluckingcanadian

cluckingcanadian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement.

I tested my purchased thermometer against the one I received with my incubator and they are 2 degrees apart (the purchased one is lower).

If the included thermometer is correct the temperature throughout the incubation/hatch would have been 102F in a forced air incubator. Would that explain the end result of this hatch??

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yes i think it would

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by