Failed bumblefoot surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chezpoulet, Sep 28, 2011.

1. chezpoulet

chezpoulet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    My 10 month old Welsumer had a case of bumblefoot about a month ago- we check the flock often, so we caught it in its early stage. The pad of the foot was slightly raised, with a black scab over the pad of the foot. "Mom, does Wellie have a callus?" was the first indication.

I performed surgery on the foot, cutting away the black scab, but there was no cheesy pus or a corn-like "bumble" that I could feel. We bandaged and put triple antibiotic ointment on the area for a week. I checked the foot again today, and it seems that the bumblefoot is back- there is a slight pinkness on the bottom of the foot, and the appearance of a small black spot. What should I do next? Wait until the bumblefoot gets bad enough that there is actually pus to clear out after removing the scab? If I try cutting away the scab again (it looks like a black spot on the foot right now, about 2 mm in diameter) I will prob end up in the same situation, where the infection appears to be deeper in and not bad enough to cause pus build-up? Chickmunk the Welsumer is laying, eating, and acting totally normal, no limping at all. It does not look like the foot is bothering her at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    If there's no inflammation or apparent swelling (and she isn't limping or seeming to be in pain) then I'd just leave it alone.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2. I agree. I've had the same thing happen. I'd cut open the scab and squeeze the heck out of the footpad and only blood pours out, no infection at all. Sometimes the scab disappears on its own. I'll only do surgery if I see a hen limping and/or if the footpad is red and swollen.

4. chezpoulet

chezpoulet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    Thanks both. I'll take the wait and see approach then.

5. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    I did surgery on mine last night. I pulled the scab 2 days ago and got nothing, but it was so swollen it bulged up between her toes on the top side. So, I'd already done damage, I guess I might as well try there. So, I made a small slit away from where the black spot had been and over where there was a harder bulge. Surprise! It looked like a kernel of corn popping out. Nothing more came out of that spot so I tried another tiny slit on the top of her foot where it bulged up and two more waxy yellow kernels came out. I was shaking after that so did the ointment and wrap. I gave her another soak and re-wrap tonight. Wish me luck. I hope I got it all out. Oh, there was never any pus draining like I expected, just those 3 cheese/waxy yellow kernels.

6. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I am wondering if an oral antibiotic might be needed after these foot surgeries to prevent serious infection.

7. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    I wonder if an epsom foot bath would help with this. perhaps a more chicken-medicine versed person can help.

8. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
  9. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    Quote:I'll look into that. This is my first experience with bumblefoot and it got pretty bad before I caught it. I did a couple days of soaks after removing the scab without cutting, but it was getting worse fast. I'm not giving an oral or injected antibiotic, though some people do. I am using epsom soaks, antibiotic cream in the incisions, and occlusive wraps to keep it clean. I can't afford vet surgery or even and office visit for a chicken. If she looks to be really suffering I will cull her, but she is a favorite of my kids, so we are trying this for now.

10. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I currently have 5 hens with it now, what a pain. For them and me. [​IMG]

Quote:I'll look into that. This is my first experience with bumblefoot and it got pretty bad before I caught it. I did a couple days of soaks after removing the scab without cutting, but it was getting worse fast. I'm not giving an oral or injected antibiotic, though some people do. I am using epsom soaks, antibiotic cream in the incisions, and occlusive wraps to keep it clean. I can't afford vet surgery or even and office visit for a chicken. If she looks to be really suffering I will cull her, but she is a favorite of my kids, so we are trying this for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by