Failed incubation

Discussion in 'Quail' started by aperez54, Oct 20, 2014.

1. aperez54

aperez54 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    I'm soooo frustrated! Today was supposed to be lockdown on 14 quail eggs I set up at my kids' kindergarten class. I candled them before transferring to the hatching incubator and ALL OF THEM WERE INFERTILE!!

Aaaargh! I almost feel like the person who supplied it to me knew they were infertile :(

So now I have a classroom of 25 bummed kids :( They even took lots and lots of pictures with the eggs in the incubator and learned about the life cycle, drew pictures.

[​IMG]

2. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    Ouch ... sorry to hear. Feel bad for the kids. It's surprising that ALL eggs were infertile though. Do they not have any male in their cage?

3. aperez54

aperez54 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    The supplier owns a farm, with many quail pens and other livestock. We agreed 2 - 3 weeks before the date I'd pick up the eggs so she can collect them. But she said something happened in the morning and they were either taken by a raccoon or they fell or something like that. She collected 15 eggs that morning (1 was broken) - so I almost feel like they were just regular infertile eggs but needed to give me "something". Thing is, ALL of them were bright green when candled. It's not like a few had early deaths or anything. No veins, nothing.

I really do feel bad for the kids. They have pictures and drawings and writings all over their "hatching chicks" area. So now I still have the eggs in there pretending they'll hatch until I can get my hands on fertile eggs.

Live and learn I guess. I wouldn't mind so much if they were just for me, but a class of disappointed expecting little kids to see hatching chicks is definitely a bummer. I feel horrible for the teacher who has to explain it all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by