Failing hen not sure why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Mar 24, 2013.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Drumstick has been ill for about a week now. So I parted her out. I lost a hen through a respiritory issues only at the end of January and so I was worried that another had gotten sick so soon?
    She seemed to have sour croop for which I treated her with some garlic and yogurt mix. Her croop seemed to be full of gunge. Not emptying out properly, After I treated her she started to get really nasty smelly green poo. and I noticed she had been sick and brought the green yuck up too.

Since then I have been trying to get her to eat - she has refused most things. She nibbles at stuff but doesn't eat properly. Others suggested yogurt and egg but she wouldn't touch it. I gave her some lettice and she ate that and some of her layers but nothing more. I have been giving her extra vits in her water. Today was the first warmish day for ages as we have had frightful winds here. So much it took the roof off the small shed which was near the shed she was in. So I thought it had just scared her and kept her awake. Today she is very weak. I took her out in my arms to see the others girls but didn't leave her out long.
    I remembered when our chicks were not eating I gave them some pudding rice and it got them started though of course there is too much sugar and salt to keep a chick on that for long - but it worked to "kick start!"
    I tried it with Drumstick and put some banana in it too. She ate off my fingers but seemed quite unco-ordinated. I am not holding much hope out. Only a few weeks back she was doing fine without any issues at all. One of my healthiest hens that laid every day.

She is about 4 /5 yrs old now though and I am wondering is this just her getting old and near her right time to died anyhow?
    I can't see anything else wrong with her except she isn't eating the best and is very weak and tired. I really don't know what else to do?

We are not taking her to the Vet because it doesn't make financial sence. Vet charges £25 before he even sees an animal and then charges again for meds. Here we can get three point of lay hens for less. So it is home nursing - sadly.
    It has been particularly bitter cold here over winter and very wet for months. The only chickens that seem affected are the PRs the other duel purpose girls are doing fine but of course they tend to carry more weight and fat than PRs do.
    Agnes another girl PR had a lot of fluid come up one day but seems to have recovered ok. She is out in the yard sunning herself with her sister. But Drummy is in the shed - not sure what else to do as it is cold out of the sun. I simply cannot put her outside even in her box. I think she is dieing -
    When I saw the green poo I looked up Mereks because I was afraid it got into the flock. But I see she is not behaving in the way described. Also there was green mould in the hen coop when she first got sick - not sure were it came from as I clean out every 2 weeks and had not noticed it. But with all the damp here maybe also it may have been from a broken egg. - ? I really don't know what else to do. She isn;t acting nerologically challenged just exhausted and weak and very thin?

Oes

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    My guess is she is ill and the cold and her age are taking a toll on her. I just had one do the same thing and I had her put down, my vet says 4-5 is old for a hen, yes some live longer, but most don't. Laying eggs takes a lot out of them , so the more they produce the sooner they may die. Always stinks and I have found that it takes several weeks for them to die. Fluid coming out of the mouth is a sign the her crop is blocked and the fluid and feed can not pass through. she will starve this way, unless you can get her crop working

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    There is nothing in the crop now - since I did the garlic treatment what was in it has cleared out. - As I said it looked green and yuky and smelled real bad so I guess it was blocked for a time. Sad thing is she was a lovely hen. Today she is sleeping a great deal. I had to wake her up this morning to get her to take some water. She doesn;t seem in any pain or anything. I don;t think I can bare to get her neck stretched. I am hoping that she will just die in her sleep. I had thought it might have been good to put a friend in with her but she is so weak the other would bulldoze her out of the way and take th food. Also if she has anything contagious I am just spreading it.

I wish she could go outside again and see her friends but it is bitter cold here. I just took her out for about 5 mins the other day to say hello to her sisters. None of them attacked her for being weak. They seemed to "know!" I think she is just spipping away. You are probably right about it being an age thing. She is the last of my PRs. They tend to lay a great deal so maybe she is just burned out. I have two RIR s one of them seemed to have a bit of fluid biuld up but she just wooshed it out of her nose one day in front of me and is fine since.

I guess like any "old person" - I just need to try to keep her calm and warm and feed her treats if she feels like it and just wait for "the moment!" The cold has been particularly cruel to the PRs this year. As I said they don;t seem to carry a lot of body fat for insulation against this cold. The other girls seems to fare better and even the RIRs have more bulk than the PRs do.

I am a bit sad thought I had something nasty in the flock because Dorothy died in January - she had a very nasty respiritory infection but again she was an old hen at least 4 yrs as I have had her more than 3 yrs and she was very scrawney when she came. So now with this one going it is all a bit grim.

Gerty seems to be on top of things though (maran head hen!) She is rallying the troops. She heards them to the sun spots in the garden when we get any. Bertha my hen with the bad leg (ss) was laying in a hole in the sun and Agnes (RIR) Tried to get her out of it by pecking her but Gerty went for her big time and chased her away then went back to lay with Bertha. Gerty doesn;t seem to see Bertha's injury and always "protects her!" There is a tight knit top hen group here. Gerty, then Berth ( but she is very insular since the injury, great Mom though but sadly has not went back to brood since the accident) Then after that there is Isobella and caroline - Those two are always up to no good! They are the onse - along with Gerty sometimes that get into bother like being found on the top of the conservatory roof pecking at the study window? So that is the big 4 - We call them the Buzzards! THe bottom of that group then were the babies from last year. Mable and Betty. They tag along and are there because they are Berthas girls but they just tag along and work between the groups. - There was a big social gap then untill the PRs and RIRs - Betty would spend a lot of time with this group as well as the top girls. - Drumstick was head of this group then the two RIRs florry and agnes and bringing up the rear was Dorothy. Of course now the dinamics will change what will Dorothy and drumstick away. I don;t see Drummy recovering. - It is facinating to see the social structure!

Oes

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Update - drummy passed away tonight

oes [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by