Failing to thrive silkie chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue Ninja, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a two week old silkie chick that isn't thriving? They are all fed a 20% protein starter crumble in which I mix some diatomaceous earth and water with some Bragg's apple cider vinegar in it. This chick is now about half the size of the others, and is still pasting up regularly. No problems with any of the others. They also get handfuls of fresh greens occasionally. Thank you!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is the chick eating and drinking?? Is it pooing? You may have to isolate her/him to know for certain (maybe just a wire divider w/her own food & water?). What's her activity level like? These answers will help us help you...

3. Blue Ninja

Jun 4, 2011
    Her/his activity seems just fine. Doesn't get picked on, I see it eating and drinking. There is chick grit sprinkled on to the feed and a chick forage cake. I have seen it poo with success. They are brooded on a fluffy towel inside a rubbermaid tub that is changed daily. I have been putting bag balm on the rear end the last couple of days because it seemed kinda "chapped" and that seems to have helped with the sticking a bit. I am also raising guinea keets on a higher protein, should I give them all the higher protein game bird starter grower? When I got the silkies this one did seem a little more frail than the others. Therefore the name "China" came about. Thanks again!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...there could be an internal problem that nothing will "fix." Or the chick could just be a runt, which may or may not catch up to the others, since they're only two weeks. My biggest silkie chick I fully expected to grow into a roo - she was just huge compared to the others - but they caught up with her by week 5 or 6. And then my tiniest chick (and slowest to develop) suddenly shot up and surpassed the others (and DID end up a roo) around that same time. I'd try not to worry as long as she's doing all of the things you say she is (eating/pooing/moving around normally). Give her a few more weeks. I think I'd stick with the chick feed...

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I find that vitamin/electrolyte mix in the water solves pasty butts within usually 48 hours.Always works for me [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Once in a while I will get a chick like that, rarely though. If it's like that and they end up living, they will be very tiny adults (dwarfs). Try some vitamins and electrolytes in the water. Maybe some boiled crushed up egg yolk.

7. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    i have a runt silkie and a run buff orpington that even now at 8 weeks old are 1/2 the size of their siblings. I was worried we were going to have to cull the BO because she initially had trouble walking but now they are all fine...just smaller.

the runt silkie is actually my special girl. she is just so sweet and spunky. she is the smartest of the pack.

8. Blue Ninja

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by