Failing to thrive

TMartin2017

Hatching
Dec 19, 2017
Hi all,
This is my first flock, I have 5 ameracauna's about 8 months old. I was out of town about a week & when I returned I found one of them is much skinnier than the others and seems to be loosing feathers around the back of her neck. Our weather has been a bit drastic, down to about 10 at night & back up to 60 during the day but their coop is well insulated. We do not have a local vet that treats farm animals so if you have ANY advice I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm no expert by any means, I'm sure one of them will be along shortly. However, my 8-month old BO is molting, mostly on her neck. I noticed new pin feathers today. Have you looked for new feathers? They may also lose weight while molting. I thought this couldn't happen their first fall but evidently, not so!

To be on the safe side check for mites and lice, too. In the absence of new feathers, or mites or lice, make sure she isn't being bullied and kept from her food.

Something to think on while you wait for the big guns to arrive.

Last edited:
I'm no expert by any means, I'm sure one of them will be along shortly. However, my 8-month old BO is molting, mostly on her neck. I noticed new pin feathers today. Have you looked for new feathers? They may also lose weight while molting. I thought this couldn't happen their first fall but evidently, not so!

To be on the safe side check for mites and lice, too. In the absence of new feathers, make sure she isn't being bullied and kept from her food (or have mites or lice).

Thank you! I will check for all 3. Do you deworm your chickens on a regular basis or as needed? What product would you recommend?

I don't worm on a regular basis. I've never wormed as of yet! If I saw something in their feces that concerned me I would have the same question as you. Sorry, no help there.

I just read today in Community Chickens, I think, that 1/2 t. per chicken of brewer's yeast daily in their food could be beneficial in deterring mites and lice, though. I've also read that some herbs may be natural wormers but I don't know just how true that is.

I was out of town about a week & when I returned I found one of them is much skinnier than the others and seems to be loosing feathers around the back of her neck.

My 8 month old Speckled Sussex is molting right now and just the back of her neck, so it can happen at this time of year. Pin feathers are obvious, so check that. Losing weight is a bit concerning. They need protein when molting, so ensure you are feeding a high protein feed. I am using pullet developer with free choice oyster shell on the side for the layers.

To be on the safe side check for mites and lice, too. In the absence of new feathers, or mites or lice, make sure she isn't being bullied and kept from her food.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.
They can lose weight, but first will just look skinnier because of loss of feathers.

I do not recommend worming, even holistically, without having a fecal done first.
Can cause more problems that it might solve.
Keep them on a good balanced ration, plenty of fresh plain water, and minimal 'treats'.

ETA: The term 'Failure to Thrive' is usually applied to very young chicks who never grow and/or behave 'normally' from the get go.

My girls are all 8 months old. My Barred Rock started molting about a month ago and my Cuckoo Marans just started the end of last week. Both have the pin feathers at the neck. The BR looks a little thin but she is eating and acting ok so I'm not too concerned. Three of the other girls (White Leghorn, Black Austrolorp, NH Red) are laying and haven't started to molt. My Welsummer isn't molting and hasn't really laid any eggs yet but has been interested in the nest box lately and seemed a bit broody today so I'm not sure what's up with that.

My 8 month old Speckled Sussex is molting right now and just the back of her neck, so it can happen at this time of year. Pin feathers are obvious, so check that. Losing weight is a bit concerning. They need protein when molting, so ensure you are feeding a high protein feed. I am using pullet developer with free choice oyster shell on the side for the layers.
I'm feeding a lay mash with oyster & grit each on the side. I will check for pin feathers as soon as I get home. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom