Failure to move past pipping stage. Humidity too high.

Anethema

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
Northern BC, Canada
Hey all! Another question for you knowledgeable folks.

TL;DL: Incubation humidity too high for first 18 days, chicks don't seem to be able to unzip even a full 24 hrs after pipping, when do I help them?

I have this incubator: https://www.amazon.ca/Yosoo-Automat...&qid=1523324386&sr=8-7&keywords=egg+incubator

I was following the manual directions since I did not have a Hygrometer. I calibrated the temperature using the methods I've read on here, but could not find a hygrometer locally.

So I followed the directions for the amount of water to add etc.

I did one batch and only got 1 hatch. I figured maybe I just had some eggs that weren't the best (they were stored over a week etc). Many didn't make it to lockdown, but of the 4 that did only one hatched.

So on the next batch I tried again making sure temp was calibrated and this time more made it to lockdown, but only 3 out of 5 hatched. Those 3 also even after like 30 hours from pipping never unzipped themselves. I eventually helped them out after maybe 35 hours and they are so far good (2 Bantie Cochins, and 1 Barred Rock.)

So on the next batch, I followed the directions again, and tried. Now 10 made it to lockdown and looked good when candling.

But I'm having the same issue. We are at day 22 and 1 unzipped on its own. I hear another one peeping and some rolling around, but it seems the eggs will sometimes pip, but from the pip stage they don't seem to unzip.

Now, I then thought of something. I have an outdoor weather sensor which has humidity. I haven't calibrated it, but I put it in there. While I'm on the lower tray so humidity will be higher, it is reading around 90%. I imagine the humidity for the first 18 days was in the 70s or 80s on the higher tray. I read this can cause many hatching issues (chick too big, problems hatching etc).

So what I'm wondering is: At what point do I help them? I read the big thread everyone posts on helping chicks, but it did not seem clear what to do in my situations. The eggs are pipped, or rolling around peeping audibly, but never really get further it seems. How long in that situation do I wait before beginning to help them out of their eggs?

Thanks everyone sorry for the wall of text!

It is suggested that you wait until 12-24 hours after day 21 to start assisted hatching. Then it is advisable only to make a small hole at the air sac end of the egg in order to get oxygen to the chick. This may give the chick just the start he needs to finish the job himself over the next few hours.
It seems to be the general consent that if the chick is moving, chirping or has pipped into the air sac or just outside the shell, to leave him alone for as long as possible as it can take the chick a long time to fully absorb the yolk and close up the blood vessels in the membrane of the shell.
If your chicks have pipped but not started unzipping 12-24 hours after day 21, you can start making that zip along the line of the air sac (seen when candling) for them as long as you do not encounter blood. Also, watch to see if the membrane has started to dry out. Keeping the membrane moist is very important for successful hatching. You can use a damp paper towel or coconut oil on the membrane to keep it moist.
Wetting the membrane also allows you to see the blood vessels and make sure the chick has absorbed that blood before continuing the hatch. The chicks may chirp much louder as they get ready to finish hatching. It is important in assisted hatching not to fully remove the chick from the shell but to let them do that final stage themselves to avoid injury to the chick.
Keeping their incubator at a high humidity as well as keeping those membranes wet will do a lot towards a successful hatch.

So basically if they have pipped but not zipped in 24 hrs is the timeline. I know about the blood and membranes etc I read that page on assisting quite a bit, I am just not sure how long I should wait.

The beaks pipped, they can breathe, but they never seem to get further. From reading about the incubator being 80% humidity it seems like the chicks will be too large and full of water to move around in the egg enough to get out, which is making sense.

So basically if they have pipped but not zipped in 24 hrs is the timeline. I know about the blood and membranes etc I read that page on assisting quite a bit, I am just not sure how long I should wait.

The beaks pipped, they can breathe, but they never seem to get further. From reading about the incubator being 80% humidity it seems like the chicks will be too large and full of water to move around in the egg enough to get out, which is making sense.
You must, must get yourself a hygrometer that you can calibrate yourself so you know exactly what is going on. The high humidity in your incubation is very likely to be the cause of your bad hatch. There are other variables, of course, but the humidity is a big one. I'm sorry, it sucks when you get them to the point of hatch and they fail. You have to have instruments that you can trust and then follow, or at least walk on the path of the 'incubation rules', there is, of course, wiggle room but you at least have to be in the immediate area, if you know what I mean.

Pip to zip can be a long, long wait, 24 - 48 hours sometimes. Other times it can be quick, an hour or two. Zip to hatch should be quite quick, no more than an hour ideally, with monitoring the membrane and the 'breathing' motion of the chick indicating that the yolk and blood supply is still being absorbed and then the push and struggle and OUT... hopefully!

Yeah once they zip they are done it’s just they don’t zip. We are actually having better luck this time it looks like maybe one if any are going to need help. Ten made it to lock down and 7 have hatched on their own.
Those are better numbers. I should have asked earlier but of the ones that pip, are they pipping in the right place?

Those are better numbers. I should have asked earlier but of the ones that pip, are they pipping in the right place?
Yeah they seem to be pipping in the proper place. The last banty has zipped now, but the 2 Barred Rock ones haven't even pipped yet. Ill probably try to poke em open tonight or tomorrow but I'm not hearing anything or seeing movement, they may be malpositioned or died for some other reason. I'll do an attempt at assist soon then if that doesn't work, an eggtopsy.
I have that incubator. I dry hatch. It runs at 30% and then goes up to 50%+ once they start hatching. If I put any water in it shoots up to 70%+
Yeah I'm going to calibrate this outdoor weather hygrometer and stick it in there for the next hatch. At most maybe a shot glass or other small surface area to get the humidity proper next time.

For your next hatch do get a hygrometer. I am in a dry area and run the same incubator. It drops down to 10% humidity if it runs dry in me, but I have to be careful and add just a small amount of water cuz it will. Shoot up really high if I add too much water.

Back
Top Bottom