Failure to thrive.....Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkosh, Nov 18, 2011.

1. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I have a very large flock and I can't check each one every day. I do throw scratch everyday around the farm yard and look and watch for sick or injured chickens. Well over the last month I have found 2 chickens that are lethargic and uninterested in the scratch. When I pick them up they are nothing but skin and bones. I have forced liquid and yogurt into their mouths and let them swallow it themselves. The one I found a couple of weeks ago died after a couple of days. This one I just found this morning. They are 2yo at this time and they are New Hampshire reds. Worms, maybe? The rest of the flock appears normal and healthy. Any ideas?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If they have not been wormed in awhile or only with Wazine, then I would suspect worms.

3. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Could be worms , coccidia , not enough heat , crowded and etc ................... Give then the very best wormer and the max amount , make sure they are not getting chilled and use a good coccidiosis medicine ................

Quote:

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My first thought was cocci. I hear you guys have been having a pretty wet year, so cocci tends to rear its ugly head when conditions are particularly wet. But then again, worms tend to be more of a problem during wet weather, too. I think the wet weather might be wreaking havoc with your flock's health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by