Failure to thrive

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nachosmama, Dec 1, 2016.

1. nachosmama

nachosmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2015
    I have a 16 week old RIR. She's not thriving. She wont eat or peck around or drink water. She just sits and tucks her head in her chest like she's cold. It just started a couple days ago when the weather got to around 30 degrees at night but i live in Tucson AZ so it doesn't really get THAT cold. What could be wrong with her. It's like she's freezing or something. This is what ive thought... #1 she doesn't like the new food. it's crumbles instead of the starter/grower stuff. #2 she's just not cold tolerant at all! #3 maybe she's too young to be with out a heat lamp? I dont know :( I got her when she was 12 weeks old from a breeder in california. So maybe she's not used to the colder temperatures. But everything ive read on here says chickens dont need heat lamps at night.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    She has some kind of medical problem. It has nothing to do with the cold.

I don’t know your story, how many chicken you have, whether you had a flock when you got her, or if you got several chickens at the same time. If you happen to have more than one, is she the only one acting this way?

My first thought because of the timing, four weeks since you brought her home, is Coccidiosis. Treating her with Corid might be a great thing to do. Start today.

If you already had a flock it’s possible your flock could have flock immunities. They won’t show any symptoms but they can be carriers that infect new chickens. Coccidiosis is one possibility but there could be others. When chickens are sick they act that way. Are you seeing any other symptoms, runny noses, watery eyes? Have you seen her poop, that can be a good clue?

Is she molting? Most of my chickens act pretty normal when they are molting but I have had some fast molters (they drop a lot of feathers pretty quickly) that sort of act that way. They spend extra time on the roost in the morning or set around kind of hunched up like they don’t feel really well. Different chickens are affected differently by the molt.

It is possible she is injured. She may have banged into something when she was flying down from the roost or maybe injured herself trying to get away from an amorous rooster or if she panicked when losing a pecking order fight. She may have swallowed a nail, screw, or sharp piece of glass that punctured her gizzard when she was trying to grind it up.

Have you checked her for mites or lice? Worms? A heavy dose of parasites can cause that behavior, though that sounds extreme.

At 16 weeks she is probably too young to be egg bound or have internal laying.

It’s really hard to diagnose over the internet. Even when you are looking at them it can be challenging. In addition to the Corid, I’d try feeding and watering her. You can get electrolytes or nutri-drench, a lot of people use those. Sugar water can help. I’ve used hummingbird liquid. The idea is to get some moisture into her so she doesn’t dehydrate, plus give her something to raise her energy level so she feels like eating and drinking on her own. I put a drop of liquid on the tip of her beak with a medicine dropper and let her drink. If you try to force it down her throat you can drown her.

Good luck! This can be challenging.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She's sick, so get her inside where it's warm, and post a picture of her poop.

-Kathy

4. nachosmama

Jan 16, 2015
    Here's two pics. [​IMG][/IMG]When she does walk she walks all hunched up. But she doesn't walk a lot it almost seems like she's tired and lays down again. I only have two chickens. I got them from the same guy but he had hundreds of chickens so she could have picked up something there.

5. nachosmama

Jan 16, 2015
    Here's her poop. [​IMG]

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She's sick, so get her inside where it's warm (80-85 degrees is ideal), then post a picture of her poop. Also do like @Ridgerunner suggested and check her for lice and mites.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like it might be coccidiosis, so do like @Ridgerunner suggested and get some Corid (amprolium) and treat ASAP.

-Kathy

8. nachosmama

Jan 16, 2015
    Thanks!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Powder dose = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days
    Liquid dose = 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.

Make fresh daily. Must be only source of drinking water.

let me know which one you get and I'll tell you how to make an oral drench to give in addition to the quart or gallon that you make.

10. nachosmama

Jan 16, 2015
    So I went to three different places no one had Corid. I have to order it. The only thing they had on hand was oxytetracycline. I'm not sure if that'll help. But it'll be a couple days till I get her the right stuff :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by