Failure to Thrive?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frenchiegirl21, Mar 23, 2017.

1. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    Hello all.

I have a Brahma pullet who is having some trouble. She has a super pale comb and has lost tons of weight. She is 6 months old and this started this week.

I have checked her all over and cannot find a cause! No mites, no respiratory issues, no fowl pox, no crop issues, not eggbound, no visible injuries. She is just wasting away.

Can anyone think of a cause I haven't thought of? She is drinking but not eating. I'd rather not lose her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you feel of her crop to check if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy? Impacted or sour crop can affect eating and digestion. Feel of her breastbone for weight loss, and of her lower belly for fullness. Could other chickens have kept her from getting enough food and water to where she has become dehydrated and weak? I would offer her some soft chopped egg, and mix a small bowl of her feed with a lot of water and a tsp of yogurt. How are her poops? Any diarrhea or odd colors? Bring her inside if possible in a basket to watch her. Make sure that she can satnd and move her legs.

3. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas

Crop is empty. Her breast bone can easily be felt and seen. I do not think the other chickens would keep her from eating or drinking. We have multiple feeding and watering sites and they free range during the day. She is isolated, but I haven't gotten a chance to observe her poops. I have class until 6 today but I can try and make her some food when I get home.

4. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    There is also no evidence of internal parasites. But a worm infestation makes sense. I have Strongid at my house for my dogs, so I may dose her with that this afternoon.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There must be something internal going on with her, since brahmas are usually big eaters. Reproductive problems, kidney or liver issues, or even a heart problem could be possible. Your vet may agree to do a fecal float on several fresh droppings, to look for worms. I am not sure how safe Strongid or pyrantel is for chickens. I would prefer using fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) or albendazole (Valbazen) due to its recommendation by more chicken references. Those will get most chicken worms, depending on the dosage. Wazine (piperazine) can be effective in the water for 24 hours on round worms, but no other worms.Here is a good link to read about worming:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

6. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    That's what I was afraid of [​IMG]The only avian vet in my area has a $100 fee that has to be paid upfront before she will see you, and I do not have that much money to spend on a chicken. I will look into getting a different wormer and try that, but otherwise all I can do is make her comfortable.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many regular vets that take care of your other pets will run a fecal float on droppings that you bring in--some will, some won't. Mine will, even though he doesn't see chickens. And that varies in cost from $15-35 in most cases. Certain viral diseases can cause wasting and immunity problems. If she dies, you could look into getting a necropsy which is sometimes the only way to find out if there is a disease that can affect other chickens. I hope worming her helps.

8. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    UPDATE: I worked her a couple days ago and today her comb is more red instead of a pale pink! I still haven't seen her eat, but she is drinking lots of water. I'll repeat the worming in 5 days and then a third time according to the instructions. So far she hasn't died, which is good [​IMG]

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Try feeding her some chopped egg and the feed with water in it. Most chickens will eat that eagerly. I hope she continues to look better.

10. frenchiegirl21

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    Unfortunately she died last night [​IMG]I think she just lost too much weight because I caught it too late. Thank you so much for your help though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by