Fainting chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My baby 9-10 week old chick keeps fainting! It is outside pecking at the ground and then it randomly flops over and lays there!! About 30 seconds or so later she pops back up, shakes, and the runs back to join the others!
    What is going on???

2. Young Heritage

Young Heritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Monterey TN
    Almost sounds like a seizure. I sure hope not though.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:A Seizure [​IMG] Oh no!
    How can I tell if it is one?

4. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Is she sunning herself? Or instead of a seizure she could be fainting if not getting enough oxygen for one reason or another.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Im not sure? The action is startling, she pecks at the ground and then flops over with her one wing outstretched and her head feathers all poofed. Then when i go and poke her she gets up and runs off.
    And then when i did not poke her, she laid there for a few seconds and then got up, shook, and then ran off.
    She is not gasping or wheezing or anything like that,so i dont think its an oxygen thing.
    Is it something as simple as im over reacting to a bazaar sunning habit?

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Does she seem unconscious? My birds all flop down in sunny spots and throw out a wing to capture the heat, but I can tell they are conscious! Next time she does it, try call to her from a short distance and see if she responds to your voice.

7. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Hmmm, my guess is sunning if no other symptoms of illness. Mine will find a sunny spot and just flop down - and lay completely on their side - then get up, dust off and keep going. But it's not a fall type flop, you can dell it's a deliberate - squat, lay down, stretch out -

8. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Maybe its like a fainting goat, shes sacrificing herself for the flock!

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:This is more of a gradual fall over, like she looks like shes walking and then slowly crumples almost to the ground.

10. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    my guess is sunning also.. mine done this the other day & i was all [​IMG] are you having a heat stroke!!! lol it just had been a while from the last time i had babies , i had forget all about sunning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by