Fainting goats anyone??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jasmine1998, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Here are some pics of my goats "fainting"

Qat - doe
    [​IMG]

Quy - doe
    [​IMG]

Orion - buck
    [​IMG]

And my favorite of Orion
    [​IMG]

And some non fainting pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    [​IMG]Laila my doe
    [​IMG]Laila and my alpine wether Billy
    [​IMG]Laila when she was skinny
    [​IMG]My buck Gus when he was 3 months old
    [​IMG]The other side of Gus

[​IMG]His blue eyes. LOL
    [​IMG]and Gus fainted

sorry for all the pics I love my fainters. Hoping to add some does this summer

3. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    They are lovely!

~ Karen

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I love when my buck faints and still continues eating grass.... so funny.

5. WillMicro

WillMicro New Egg

Jan 26, 2011
    They are SO cute! How do they age? I heard the fainting can start causing them brain problems... is that true?

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    They are so adorable. Thanks for the great pictures.

7. Lydia&Andrew

Lydia&Andrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Cleethorpes
    What is it with the fainting? Is it an illness? Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know anything about these goats. (I have also seen fainting kittens).

8. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Allaniamls - your guys are cute. I wished our buck was polled...sometimes he catches you with those horns. Drives me nuts.

WillMicro & Lydia - it does not cause brain damage. Basically it is a genetic condition that causes their muscles to contract (almost like when you get a charlie horse but without the pain) when they get startled or excited. They do not pass out. They are fully awake. The "fainting" usually lasts about 10-15 seconds, then they get up & go about their business. I have one goat that faints every time I bring out her dinner. They live a normal life span as the fainting does not hurt them physically. Of course you have to make sure that their pen is predator safe as they are more likely to get eaten by a predator since more than likely they would faint instead of running away.

This is from the registry website...
    Myotonia is the condition that causes Fainting goats to stiffen and/or fall over when startled. This condition is caused by a combination of recessive genes. Fainting goats can show varying degrees of myotonia. When startled some will fall to the ground with their entire bodies perfectly stiff and rigid. Others will only stiffen in their limbs and not fall to the ground. The condition lasts for ten to fifteen seconds after which time the animal will rise and walk off stiff, still showing a noticeable degree of stiffness in their back limbs. After a short time this stiffness will disappear and they will walk and act like any other goat. This condition only affects their external muscles so while in a myotonic state the animal is fully conscious and aware of its surroundings. In no way does this condition affect their life span and with proper care they will live just as long as any other breed of goat.

http://www.faintinggoat.com/

Chikenzoo - That is funny. My buck thinks that he can outrun his faint & ends up doing rolls.

9. Lydia&Andrew

Lydia&Andrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Cleethorpes
    Very interesting....thank you!

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    chickenzoo - are you breeding yours? I would love to get one of these guys eventually. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by