Fainting Hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SmartyChick, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    My BA hen has collapsed 3 times in the last hour. She was free ranging, I turned around and saw her laying on the ground, feathers ruffled. I though she was dead , but in a few seconds she got up and started acting normal. [​IMG] It sounds funny but when you see it it can is alarming. What is wrong with her?? [​IMG]

2. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    I have no idea....but.... [​IMG] from MA [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it a sunny day? They'll do that and fluff up possibly stretch out their legs and usually a wing and bask in the sun. Perfectly normal.

4. Kendall Chicks

Kendall Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Merrimack
    Quote:You are so right. Mine where doing it all day yesterday. They love the sun. They puff up their feathers get all comfy and sometimes lay on their side with their legs all spread out. I took pictures yesterday

5. thornoelle

thornoelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    It really sounds like sunbathing to me. They look like they have been killed to me when they do it but as you rush over to check them they get up and give you a look like why did you disturb me! [​IMG]

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    They also like to dustbathe which looks like they are having an epileptic fit. What you describe is perfectly normal.

7. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I used to have a fainter. She was a gift from a friend. My dad delivered her to me and when he pulled her out of the sack, she looked dead. We wet her head and she woke up.
    After that we discovered that she fainted when she was tired out or too excited. Once a dog was running around the coop and all the chickens were going wild and she looked like she didn't know which way to turn and flooped over and was out cold.
    She also use to lay these huge eggs and pass out afterwards. We called her Aunt Pittypat.

8. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Thanks all, I know it wasn't a dust bath, she was probably just enjoying the sun, we've had 8 straight days of rain [​IMG] and yesterday was sunny and beautiful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by