Fair Broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Aug 22, 2011.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Our county fair is this week (Biggest county fair in North America). We took the kids there yesterday, and my 6 year old daughter and I watched the broiler judging. About half-way thru it, she taps me on the shoulder and said, "Dad, our meaties look a lot better than any of these. When I start doing this, we're gonna kick some butt." I just about lost it. It's going to be fun when she starts 4H and can participate in these things. I have a feeling she's going to take it very seriously.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Our county fair is this week (Biggest county fair in North America).

That one always amuses me. A big county fair- yes, a nice county fair- certainly, worth going to- you damnbetcha. But the biggest- not even in Ohio.

The biggest county fairs I have been to are- LA County (by far), Hamburg NY (second only to LA), Mahoning Co. OH, Allen Co. OH, Elkhart Co. IN, Marion Co. OH, Clay Co. IA,

I have judged the Darke Co. Fair many times. Your daughter is correct. It didn't take much to win the broiler competition the several times I have been there. The turkey classes were always very competitive. The Jr. Fair exhibition poultry competition is pretty stiff.

I'm going to be there Tuesday and Thursday nights!​

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I always thought the county fair in Tacoma, WA was the biggest. That must be what all the big county fairs say.[​IMG]
    Sounds like your girl is a pretty competitive little one. Better start getting ready for next year![​IMG]

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, just looked on Wikipedia. Of, course, they're never wrong.[​IMG] LA County is the biggest fair. However, there must have been at least ten google entries of counties claiming they were the biggest county fair in the nation.[​IMG]

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Yeah, I guess they all say that. I was always told that about ours, but I guess it takes someone from a neighboring county to tell you different. LOL

ETA: Here's what Wikipedia says: "Greenville is home to The Great Darke County Fair which runs for nine days in August, and is erroneously billed as the largest county fair in the United States." Who knew?

Neil - Do you still judge broilers?

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Ever been to a Chilli or Ribs Cookoff. They all lay claim to being the only event in the world that can crown the "best in the world" title. Just like county fairs or "new and improved" laundry detergent.

No I don't do production poultry anymore. To much politics, parents, just plain sillyness, etc. And it took a lot of that crap to make me give up working with the youngsters, I always enjoyed that so much.

When I had a protest filed against me because the parent did not think that I took enough time talking to a stand in exhibitor (who showed ponies) while their child was showing sheep I caught an attitude. I enjoyed most of it during my 35 years judging. Met some really great kids and thousands of just plain great kids over all those years.

Now I just try to guide my honorary grandsons, my great grand nieces and nephews with their projects. THEY KNOCKED THEM DEAD THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!! Three "best production poultry" of show - two with broilers, one with roasters. A best pen of market turkeys and two best exhibition poultry projects.

7. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:[​IMG] Already lookin' for the fix! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
  9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:[​IMG] Already lookin' for the fix! http://bestsmileys.com/money/2.gif [​IMG] [​IMG]

Was it that obvious?

[​IMG] Joking of course.
    So far the few poultry shows I've seen were judged on the up and up, at least by my own opinions of who should win. However previous experiences at dog and livestock shows left with me a bit of sour taste for showing at conformation. I once saw a dog deservedly get the gate [dismissed as not being worthy of consideration of placeing in that competion] take first in her class over the same dogs, but under a different judge, the very next day. To top it off, she was comeing in heat, and not supposed to even be at the event in that condition.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I hope she does join 4-H, it is a wonderful organization. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by