1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fair Chick Raising

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BantyChickenLuv, Mar 17, 2012.

1. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Can anyone give me any tips on how to raise my chicks for Showmanship? I want them to be kind, calm, good natured chickens. They are Cochin Bantams, one is a Frizzle, the other a normal Cochin.

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Pics?

3. ladyshayla

ladyshayla New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    I'm also curious, I was thinking about trying to enter one of my babies this year as well.

4. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Also, how many of you guys think the black one (named Chili) is a rooster?[​IMG]

5. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    OK, one more question.... Those chicks will be 4 weeks old tomorrow/Wendsday. Can we move them out of the brooder and into the coop?[​IMG]

6. broodysilkies!?!

broodysilkies!?! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    North Florida
    usually you are supposed to leave the chicks in the brooder until the chicks hit 70 degrees and then you are all clear.... here in florida the temp is 80-85 and my 3 wk old chick are let out on special days to peck around and eat... best of luck to you!

i cant tell you male from female until they crow of begin to grow "streamers" from the base of their neck (males only)

7. broodysilkies!?!

broodysilkies!?! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    North Florida
    Colby by the way lol

8. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Hmm, okay... The tempeture where I live right now is in the mid 50's, but our coop has a heat lamp in it... Would that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by