Fair price for hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mallory8502, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    I want to sell hatching eggs locally but I am not sure what is a fair price. I have a pure cream legbar rooster and several of the hens look like they are pure cream legbar but the guy who sold them to me as day old chicks said they would probably be mixed with Easter egger so I cannot make any claims. Most of my hens are EE, one delaware/cream legbar mix, and a couple Rhode island reds that I guess would produce offspring that are olive eggers?

I also don't know how to properly care for hatching eggs so they will have the best hatch rate. Any advice would be appreciated. I have heard of turning them but I don't know when, how often. I don't want to sell people eggs that won't hatch!

2. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    $10/dozen

3. Aronia

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    (I think)

4. Mallory8502

Apr 26, 2014
    Thanks that sounds fair. I saw mypetchicken had cream legbar hatching eggs for 120.00 per dozen!! And they were sold out!
    I would never try to pass off my hens as pure cream legbar since I am not sure, but WOW. I would never try charging that even if they were purebred. No one around here would pay that either.

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Good Morning!! I sell hatching eggs, I have a Blue Orpington and a Barred rock covering a wide variety of hens, I sell hatching eggs at $1.25 each or $15. a dozen. It goes in spurts but last week I sold almost $75. in hatching eggs alone!! That does not include eating eggs I sell to friends and family. Because you don't know that your hens are pure cream legbars it would be dishonest for you to advertise them that way. To properly care for the eggs during gathering I place them in a clean egg carton, fat side up and store them in the coolest room in my house which happens to be the living room. I prop books on one end of the carton so the carton sits at a slant and just rotate them 3 times a day ( 6am, 2pm and 10pm) if you work outside your home twice a day will work fine, just figure every 12 hours..
    Here is a link to my ad on CL... Hope it helps!
    http://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/4600847321.html

1 person likes this.
  6. Aronia

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Thats ten dollars a chicken!

7. Mallory8502

Apr 26, 2014
    Thanks! Wow $75 in a week, that's awesome! It sounds like it is worth the extra effort to turn the eggs and sell them for hatching rather than sell them for eating. Around here people don't charge over $2 for a dozen to eat.

How cool do the eggs need to be kept? Is there a specific reason for it? The reason I ask is because I live in an old farmhouse and climate control is just not possible in most rooms. I only air condition the bedroom and living room and I would rather not have a bunch of eggs in either place if I don't have to.

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Yes, that was a good week, but mind you it comes in spurts, I haven't sold any this week so it balances out.. When I do well I save the money and it goes to feed and such, I sell eating eggs for $2.50 a dozen to family and friends (I know them and they don't incubate) I have 7-9 standing orders a week for eating eggs which comes to around $22.5 a week, that alone pays for the feed they consume.

I have a window air conditioner in the living room, Ideally you don't want the eggs stored in a room that gets to warm as you don't want them to start the incubation process, If you have a cellar that stays cool I would store them in there.. My house typically doesn't get over 76 degree's. I keep them as close to the floor as I can out of the way. If the only two rooms in your house are the livingroom and bedroom then that's where the eggs should be stored.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    DP

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Which is pretty average for the more in demand breeds when dealing with certain breeds - in fact that is not all that much, as I have seen them go even higher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by