Fair price for IB BS Silver Pied Peacock?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by blondie34, Mar 29, 2016.

1. blondie34

blondie34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Grand Rapids, OH
    I am speaking with a breeder in OH who posted some birds on Craiglist .. he is asking $250 for a IB BS Silver pied peacock and I feel like that is a bit pricey.. I've been to auctions and seen them go for much less. I know he's going to be at the Mt. Hope auction in OH this weekend but the peafowl go on sale on Thursday and I can't make it down there until Saturday morning and I'm worried the colors I am interested in will be gone by then.

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

A 'fair price' is what both parties agree to. If the bird in question is an adult, I think it a very fair price. If you were to buy one of my 2015 hatch birds it would cost you more than that with shipping.

3. blondie34

Apr 11, 2013
    Grand Rapids, OH
    Thank you for the input! I've only ever paid $75 for yearlings in the past so I wanted to see what the "norm" was ..

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    The "norm" is different from area to area. For example; an adult Indian Blue peacock usually brings $35-$50. Sometimes adults go for $75. Adult White peafowl make $75 or over easily in my area. While others may pay $150 for an adult IB peacock from a NPIP certified breeders like Legg's. I went with his price just because I have it memorized off the top of my head.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  5. Argus

Argus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm going to Mt. Hope Thursday. If there are any peafowl left they will go at 8 am Friday on one of the side rings. Don't think you'll find any on Saturday.

6. blondie34

Apr 11, 2013
    Grand Rapids, OH
    Luckily, I met with the breeder yesterday after work and picked out my birds and brought them home [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think I'll be heading to the auction anymore .. if I do it'll just be for fun to watch :)

7. Argus

Argus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    Congratulations, they look beautiful! I only go to watch too. Where else can you see all those animals outside of a zoo? And the people are a hoot too.

8. blondie34

Apr 11, 2013
    Grand Rapids, OH
    Thank you :) haha awesome I'm glad you didn't think I was crazy for wanting to go to an auction just to watch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by