Fair price for India Blue eggs?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by 2buckskins, Jun 15, 2011.

1. 2buckskins

2buckskins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern CA
    I stumbled across a guy near me yesterday that has some India Blue eggs for sale, but all he said about price was "make me a fair offer". I've never bought pea eggs before, so I just have no idea what to offer him! Any ideas? It seems to me they can run around $5-9 an egg on ebay, but that is my only basis for comparison...

Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    As deerman wrote in my post yesterday, about $10 an egg is normal. If you are going to base it on the price on eBay, factor in shipping cost and shipping stress which can hurt hatchability. I bought 6 eggs on eBay for $43.99 + $15 shipping so that is $9.83 per egg. Out of those, only two developed so it's $58.99 for 2 chicks.

3. 2buckskins

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern CA
    Thanks Frosty!

4. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:Actually for regular IB $10 an egg is a bit high. I'd say more in the $6-8 range would be fair, esp for local pickup.

ETA: I should clarify that for IB eggs here (NE Ohio) $10 would be high, I couldn't speak to other locations and what their local market would hold.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    We hatch every Sunday night and Monday around here. We are new to peafowl, but been in the chicken business long enough to discuss hatchability. I had rather pay more for local eggs that I can pick up than I had for shipped eggs. I can and will buy shipped eggs if they are what I want, but there are things to be considered before making that decision. There is no way of knowing how the eggs were handled during the shipping process whether the temperature was extremely cold or hot during the shipping process.

You have to figure in the cost of the eggs, the cost of shipping, and the hatchability when determining the cost. Sometimes eggs are three or four days old before they are shipped. Then they are in shipping for two or three days. After that, you need to let them sit for a day before putting them into you incubator. Add all of that up, and you are almost into eggs that could be considered old. If I can drive and pick up fresh eggs, I had rather pay more for them.

JMO,
    Ernie Haire

6. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:All good points to consider when buying eggs that will be shipped, however the OP was talking about LOCAL eggs, not shipped eggs and specifically a fair price for those eggs. The discussion on shipped eggs came up bc they referenced how much shipped eggs are on ebay as a comparison.

7. 2buckskins

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern CA
    Thanks for all the advice!

I did find a different person selling IB eggs for $5 each, and chicks for $25 each. There was also one other person selling IB chicks for $60 each, but they didn't have any eggs for sale.

I'm thinking of offering $4 or $5, and going for the other $5 each eggs as a back up if that's too low...

8. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I just bought IB peafowl eggs for 30 dollars a dozen...it was pick up only and cash only.....candled them 2 days ago and out of the 2 1/2 dozen I bought 2 didnt take 2 and a blood ring and the rest had moving peafowl in them...but until I join this site today I didnt know I was supposed to be turnibg my eggs as well as the turner turning them they are halfway thru the incubation am I in real big trouble?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by