Fair Price for India Blue juvenile female?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Chicken Keith, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Chicken Keith

Chicken Keith Chillin' With My Peeps

Curious, but what is the going market rate for a peahen between 9 and 18 mos old?

A few years back I would've answered this as ranging anywhere from $75-90 per bird.

One seller wanted to part with his 2 x juvenile females for no less than $320 for the two!!!! I said, thanks, but no. Was I off base? IB's should be the lower end scale of cost for Peas (my opinion). Java greens maybe on the higher scale, just my experience. Can someone give me a feel for the right answer, please?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm trying to sell pairs of yearlings for $150 and not getting much interest, so I would say that's on the really high end for IB's. Two year old males I can get $75 for if I take my time selling them.

-Kathy

3. Frenchman Creek

Frenchman Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question. Every area of the U.S. will have different prices. What I see in New York, Vermont and Massachusetts are prices for yearling males around $100.00 to $125.00. Pea hens many times sell for a little less.. I actually feel myself is that the pea hens should sell more than the males but the market is what it is. When hatcheries sell peachicks for around $45.00 to $65.00 each I would think a two year old peafowl should sell for $125.00 to $175.00 each. I have an IB male that likes to give me cameos and I get more for them than the normal IBs. I think buyers want to get the lowest price and sellers want to get the most. I know I do but if the price is halfway reasonable I usually buy them.

4. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Isn't the old saying something like "a fair price is what the seller is willing to take and the buyer is willing to pay?" How badly does the buyer want the bird(s), and how eager is the seller to get rid of them?

From past discussions, it's been pretty obvious that different regions have different pricing. Supply and demand, right? How robust is the local economy? Is color a factor in the price? It seems to affect some markets more than others. How rare are the birds? Are there specific genetic factors that the buyer is looking to obtain? Is it a bird born last summer (so a yearling this summer) or born the year before, so considered a two year-old this summer? That age range could be either. One of those birds is a year older than the other, and has incurred more cost to the seller for feed, housing and care.

Goodness, if shipping has to get factored in, cost to the buyer can go up in a hurry!

I just don't think there is a "right" answer to the question. [​IMG]

5. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    One should also factor in the time of year. I, by all rights, should hold on to all my sellable hens until May/June. At this time of year many people are calling looking for a breeding age hen fast, they lost their hen for various reasons and they are afraid their male is lonely or may leave looking for a new hen. I could probably set my own (outrageous) price and get it. I have sold yearling pairs at this time of year and usually for $150.00, I tell people it is $50 for the male and $100 for the hen, because the demand is so much higher. Most are surprised by this, assuming the prettier male would cost the most.

6. Frenchman Creek

Frenchman Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

This is so true when it comes to the price of eggs. I would love to get more than $8.00 per egg but with such a short shelf life you find that if you price them too high you just end up hard boiling them and feeding them back to the peas.

7. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Another consideration is being NPIP and AI clean flock and capable of shipping. I sold all my plain IB yearling hens for $100 or $175 for pairs, slightly higher for pieds and even more for the more rare colors.

When I decided to sell off all my IB breeding stock I sold all of them for $125 each over the winter. Had I held on to them and sold them in May I could have gotten MUCH more for them.

8. EyeKeyYou

EyeKeyYou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    Huntsville is not that far from me I have seen plain IB hens anywhere between $75-120 depending on time of the year. $160ea would be the price for a 3 year old in April.

9. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    From observations, it depends on the time of year. In this area (central Texas) IB hens are high right now and after September you can get them cheap. Green hens are always in demand and usually stay high at all times.

Gerald Barker

10. Chicken Keith

Chicken Keith Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all very much for your responses. I got the vibe from my "seller" who lives in Lower Alabama (by the way) not the usual pricier northeastern seabord, that he was young, a little arrogant and not really interested to sell. Again, he wanted $350 for two JUVENILE hens. I would have entertained $150 for ea mature hen in lay. An IB hen. Maybe I'm the arrogant one, but I just felt he was a cocky kid and didn't know peas. And shame on me for reading too much into his comportment. I did not ask if he was IPA.

And EyeKeyYou (love your handle by the way), where are you (if you're near HSV) and do you want to make a few bucks on a bird, maybe two?

I love to say "EyeKeyYou"[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by