1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

Fair price for selling Grand Champion FFA eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by msetigger, Mar 29, 2018.

1. msetigger

msetigger Hatching

Mar 29, 2018
    Hello,
    My daughter is brand new to chickens and the world of FFA. She worked very hard and earned Grand Champion for her eggs at the FFA HBE show in our region. Her 4, yes only 4 ladies are hybrid (mostly white leghorn) and our Roos are one of the same and a lovely Barred Plymouth Rock. Now classmates are interested in purchasing her eggs to incubate. I wondered what fair price for these would be as the would essentially become her competition for later shows. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

Farmer Connie likes this.
  2. msetigger

msetigger Hatching

Mar 29, 2018
    No, she would sell local to classmates, hand delivered

penny1960 likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I’m afraid I disagree. These are hybrids from hatchery quality. 4H shows are not about breed quality.

Pricing does vary by region but typical fair price of fertile backyard flock eggs is a dollar an egg- $12 for bakers doz to 15 eggs. Pricing of 30-35 per dozen non shipped is for standard bred birds of good quality. Not hatchery quality back yard mixes.

4. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    grey-woot-welcome-farmer-co.gif

N Sully likes this.
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    For mixed breed eggs, about $6 a dozen. If they were a specific breed, from show quality parents, then you could get more. But since the chicks will just be barnyard mutts, their value is limited.

6. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    From what I understand you can not have show quality eggs or chicks. They can come from birds that won awards at APA events but does not guarantee offspring will be show quality. So calling eggs or chicks show quality is false advertising.

7. chickenE

chickenE Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Cary, NC
    Where were you planning on selling? Could you price higher and then lower price if not selling? Let the market determine the value. The eggs are worth what customers are willing to pay.

8. Ms Biddy

Ms Biddy One chicken short of crazy

Dec 4, 2017
    My Coop
    If she represents them as show quality, sells them at a premium price and then they hatch out to be normal mixed breed chickens, which they are, how will this affect her selling reputation going forward? I would encourage her to be generous with her friends and work on a selective breeding plan for a purebred line in the future.

Cleburneslim likes this.
  9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ok. :p She has probably figured it out now.

Cleburneslim likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: