Fair Price

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MomtoSyd&Emma, Jul 28, 2010.

1. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    What would you all consider to be the fair price for two 1.5yr old Black Austrolorp Hens? They lay a gorgeous large to extra large brown egg pretty much daily. Both are healthy, friendly girls, we just have 2 to many and we know someone that wants laying hens, not POL.

We are in southern Va if that makes a difference. lol

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Fair price on laying hens really is a matter of local pricing. Many times there are people here in Wisconsin that will never pay more than 6 dollars per bird for laying hens. I sold alot of Black Australorps at about 7-8 dollars for laying hens.

I have also heard of places in the country where laying hens are bringing about 20 dollars. I would say if you got between 8 and 16 dollars for your Black Australorp hens that would be a good price for them.

I love Black Australorp hens. they are such beautiful birds with their Green Sheen. Black Australorps were actually my first breed of chickens that got me started.

3. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I to love them, but the young lady wanting chickens is wanting laying hens, not pullets or POL. I paid right at 20 each for them back in April and they have been super layers for us, I am really debating on selling them at all, but law states we can only have 10 and we 12. I thought we paid 15 each and my husband reminded me that no it was 20.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by