Fair price?

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
What is a fair price for Black Australorp pullets, hatchery-quality? They should start laying in 2 or 3 weeks, I was thiking $8 ea? I ended up with pretty much all black australorps, I have 16 pullets and 2 roosters now. I want more variety, so I want to sell these and use the money for another order of chicks
smile.png
It is so exciting picking out the breeds you want next! Anyways, what do you think?

that sounds like a good deal to the buyer for sure i paid 5.00 for pullets 15 weeks old they were leghorns
big_smile.png

Work out how much you have spent on food and bedding per bird, and then add a little bit on for effort/profit/whatever you want to call it.

$8 seems incredibly cheap to me for an 18 week old.

I know I paid $10 a bird for pullets of that age (not to mention it was a 5 bird minimum to make it profitable for the seller). You may want to require a minimum # to buy or up the price more for under the minimum #. I think my RIRs though are worth it...boy do they lay!

I also got my 12 week old pullets for $8 a piece, no minimum required.

Last edited:
I may try for $10+, as my jack russell managed to get into the coop and kill five of my pullets
sad.png
I need to raise the price if I can to help pay for the losses. I just want to be fair to the buyer as well, but, hey, they don't have to buy, and if no one wants to buy them I will lower the price. I love my dog, but sometimes...:mad:

I paid $10.00 for 12 week old pullets. She was a little high, but they were not from a hatchery, and she only allows her best hens to hatch.

Your pullets only lack 2-3 weeks to lay, so you should get a bit more for yours.

It depends on the market. I managed an auction for several years and ready to lay pullets or hens that were laying would bring $15 - $22.50 per bird easily, so $10 I think is more than cheap enough.

Back
Top Bottom