1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fair price?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhens, May 19, 2007.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    What is a fair price for Black Australorp pullets, hatchery-quality? They should start laying in 2 or 3 weeks, I was thiking $8 ea? I ended up with pretty much all black australorps, I have 16 pullets and 2 roosters now. I want more variety, so I want to sell these and use the money for another order of chicks [​IMG] It is so exciting picking out the breeds you want next! Anyways, what do you think?

2. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    that sounds like a good deal to the buyer for sure i paid 5.00 for pullets 15 weeks old they were leghorns [​IMG]

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Work out how much you have spent on food and bedding per bird, and then add a little bit on for effort/profit/whatever you want to call it.

$8 seems incredibly cheap to me for an 18 week old.

4. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I know I paid $10 a bird for pullets of that age (not to mention it was a 5 bird minimum to make it profitable for the seller). You may want to require a minimum # to buy or up the price more for under the minimum #. I think my RIRs though are worth it...boy do they lay!

I also got my 12 week old pullets for $8 a piece, no minimum required.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  5. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I may try for $10+, as my jack russell managed to get into the coop and kill five of my pullets [​IMG] I need to raise the price if I can to help pay for the losses. I just want to be fair to the buyer as well, but, hey, they don't have to buy, and if no one wants to buy them I will lower the price. I love my dog, but sometimes...:mad:

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I paid $10.00 for 12 week old pullets. She was a little high, but they were not from a hatchery, and she only allows her best hens to hatch.

Your pullets only lack 2-3 weeks to lay, so you should get a bit more for yours.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    $8 for hatchery quality is a fair price.

8. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

$8 is a great price ..try for $10 and come down to $8 if you have to.

9. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    It depends on the market. I managed an auction for several years and ready to lay pullets or hens that were laying would bring $15 - $22.50 per bird easily, so $10 I think is more than cheap enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by