Fair trio help. IS this even a roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juliemom25, Jul 20, 2011.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    My daughter is showing silkies for the first time this year at the fair. We got these sweeties (plus some) from a breeder here on BYC. My daughter just loves them. We need a set of three for the fair, a roo and two hens. They should be as uniform as possible. This seemed to be our best set. What do you think of the set. What specifically should we look for? We have the typical stuff like toe count and feathering down the legs, but what else? We are such rookies. Also, we "think" our roo is a roo, but we have yet to hear him crow. The trio as 21/22 weeks. We have a few other silkies just a week or so older and they have been crowing for a while. I took some pictures, specifically of the roo in question, but what do you think? My daughter is stressing out! She begged me to post them on here.

The Roo in question....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trio.....

[​IMG]

A closer up of the girls.......

[​IMG]

Thanks soooooo much!

Julie

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I'm no expert on silkies, don't own any, but it sure looks like a roo to me with that comb. If nothing else I'll give ya a bump so somebody who knows what they're talking about can maybe take a look and tell you for sure! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I believe that's a roo.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:X2

5. juliemom25

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks so much guys! Anyone else want to chime in?

Julie

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Roo!

7. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    you'll laugh at the fair when the judge is starting to inspect your 3 and your roo starts crowing his head off!!!

dunno jack about silkies [​IMG] but they sure look cute!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, it is a cockerel, but his comb is too red, and might well be DQed for it. What variety are your other boys, and do you have photos? As best as I can tell, the girls look great.

9. juliemom25

Apr 4, 2009
    We do have a couple other roos to choose from, crowing roos, but they dont match the girls as well. They have more white in them. If I got a couple pics today, maybe I could get your opinion? The other roos have more white in them....... I will get a pic......

Julie

10. juliemom25

Apr 4, 2009
    Ok, so this is another one of her roos. It is just a shot I already had on here, but it is not of the comb. I will tell you that the comb is not red and looks more according to breed standard. This is my daughters favorite roo, I mean she loves this one. It is slightly bigger than even the other roo. It has the same base color as the girls, but much more white in it. Is that more acceptable than the red comb?

[​IMG]

Thank you so much for your help. I just really have no clue what judges look for!

(Edited to add more info)

As for variety... We ended up with a mix (which we will not do next year). I think the trio we have now are technically blues. But we also have 3 greys, 3 splash, 3 white, another blue and a partridge. I do not technically know my colors enough to be sure on a couple which color they are. They grey and blue are confusing to me, plus we have 2 gorgeous splash silkies and I am not sure which one is the third. Confusing for me.......

Julie

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by