Fairly new to gooses!

canadiangoose

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
Hi,

I have a 14 weeks old brown chinese goose, over the last few weeks I have had a couple questions I can hope someone here can help me with:

1) Is it possible to integrate my 2 dogs with the goose? Any suggestions on making this work?

2) I bought a large doghouse for the goose so she can seek shelter if she wishes, she has had it for 2 weeks and not gone inside of it. Anything I can do to help her get comfortable with it? I tried putting some food inside but she will only eat as far a she can reach from the outside.

3) Does anyone have any games their gooses find entertaining, that I can do with her?

thanks for your answers!

Canadian Goose

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Hi, you can start to intergrate the dogs with the goose through the fence, put the dogs on a leash so that if they lunge at the fence you can bring them back to you and say leave it. It will take some time but if you go at it cautiously it can work, what breed of dogs do you have, sometimes prey drive is just to over powering for the dogs. you may never be able to let them hang out with out supervision. I have dachshunds and a mixed bird dog, they do real well with adult ducks chickens and gander, but they hate our Emden gander because he has grabbed them when they were walking by, so you jusy have to be ready on both sides. as far as shelter, for her own good she should be locked up at night, you don't say where you are but predators are just about evwerywhere and can kill a goose pretty quick. herd her into the house in the evening before dark. then close the door and lock it, that way she is safe and you'll rest better. It may take some time but my goose has always been put up at night and he doesn't mind, he does have a duck friend[his mama] that he bunks with. also make sure there is good ventlation in the dog house so ammonia won't build up inside from the poop and hurt her lungs. you can cut small windows around the top of the house and use hardware cloth to cover the hole. that way nothing can reach in and grab her. as far as games my gander finds alot to do just from being outside, but he has 10 Muscovy ducks and 23 chickens to handf around with too. He does like to soak in a tub of water though
smile.png
good luck and I hope I've helped some. well I guess you did say where your from, sorry.
smile.png
forgot to say [because dh was hurrying me on to go for a walk] that when your training your dogs to be gentle with geese or any other animal to be sure when they obey you you give plenty of praise either in the form of food or just atta boy, Like I said my gander is not nice to our dogs so I basically have to keep him away from them. Crazy i know. someone had an old shoe in their lot with their duck the other day, I know my goose likes to nibble on my shoes so maybe something as simple as an old shoe or an old stuffed animal that doesn't have any holes in it may give him something to do to pass the time. Is it an only goose? then you might think about a buddy, even ducks make nice friends to geese. they do like company. All the best to you and your goose.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom